Ghee Hiang Biscuits

Do you like biscuits? Does this brand sound familiar? Have you seen it anywhere recently?

PICT0004

Ghee Hiang’s shop interior is really nice.

PICT0010

See the boxes of biscuits behind the cashier? One of the best things to bring back to your hometown from visiting [tag]Penang[/tag], would be the traditional Penang biscuits. “[tag]Tambun Pneah[/tag]” or “[tag]Tau Sar Pneah[/tag]” is manufactured by 2 major shops – “[tag]Ghee Hiang[/tag]” and “[tag]Him Heang[/tag]“. For this entry “Ghee Hiang” will be known as GH and the latter HH.

PICT0006

There’s a cupboard displaying the range of “Ghee Hiang” products. GH is the original and oldest manufacturer of this biscuit. They started the business exactly 150 years ago from now, 1856. According to some rumors, because they were so successful and dominating the business, they eventually became arrogant and started to lack in customer service. Customers had to make bookings and often made to wait a long time in order to purchase even a box of biscuits. Besides making excellent biscuits, Ghee Hiang also produces good sesame and soya sauce.

PICT0064

Nice packaging – even for biscuits

PICT0065inside

What you get in the box, freshly packed in small plastic bags This resulted in their rival, HH’s gain of popularity. Now you can see more customers in HH’s shop compared to GH. However, GH still holds the upper hand in quality of the biscuits. It is still the best “Tau Sar Pneah” brand :)

PICT0005

15 decades of experience in making biscuits. Now beat that!

1. Sian H Ooi says:

Thank you so much for highlighting Ghee Hiang in your blog.Yes…indeed we do try our level best to maintain our quality and standards even through the last 150 years of history. We are branding our products to reflect our heritage and history but we still do bake fresh daily every pastry under our supervision and in our own premise….unlike others!
    Customer satisfaction and support are always our prized reward..thank you again.

2. vkeong says:

You’re welcome, I was just expressing my honest opinion of your products. They do indeed taste fresher because of the packaging implemented. Keep up the great job!

3. Jimmy Tan says:

Hello vkeong/Ooi,

Where can I buy Ghee Hiang Tau Sar Pneah in PJ or KL?

Thanks.
    Jimmy

4. mei ling says:

hello..i’m looking Ghee Hiang information for my final project.How Ghee hiang distribute products.can i buy Ghee Hiang Sar Pneah via internet or retailer or where?

5. vkeong says:

mei ling – Hi there! I believe the first commenter of this post has the answer to your question. Do visit ghee-hiang.com for more information. But what I can tell you is that normally people would buy Tau Sar Pneah from the shops directly

6. Penny says:

Hi does Ghim Hiang accept Internet orders and send to hotels once payment is made with bank transfer?

IS there a price list as I am thinking of buying a few boxes of each variety.

7. Him says:

I think you not Penang people …
    You can go and ask Penang people out of 95% wont go for either Ghee Hiang or Ghim Hiang ..
    Reason .. taste out / expensive / sale staff cocky
    the latest top 4 biscuit shiop all located at Macalister Road ,Penang island some where near Newlane

8. Sian H Ooi says:

Dear Valued Customers,

We shall be providing internet/online sales very very soon. With the relative efficient service of most logistics handlers today, our products can reach you within a maximum of 3 days (most parts of the world)

Within certain limits of Penang Island we do door to door (free)delivery of our products. Convenience, Quality and service is important to our valued customers/clients but rest assured our products are freshly handmade and baked daily (on site….not OEM unlike others).Call 1-300-88-2727

Give us a call and please do give us advance notice so that we shall not miss out on serving you. We hope to please our customers but at the same time we would also welcome comments or criticisms so as to improve further.

Ghee Hiang has a long standing history in Penang, over 150 years hence a majority of Penangites would be able to let you know in confidence that we are the pioneers. Till today we humbly admit that we are still learning and trying to better our track record and of course our quality and customer service.

9. Bee Wong says:

Hi,
    I am from Sibu, Sarawak, and travelling to Kuala Lumpur and stay in KL from Dec 1 till Dec 3. I want to buy some of your famous biskuits to take home with me. I am not going to Penang. Can I order online or by phone with a credit card so that you can send my order to a PJ address in KL.
    Please email me asap and let me know how I can do this. Give me your telephone contact number so that I can call if I have further questions.
    Hope to hear from you real soon.

Bee Wong

10. Nicholas says:

anywhere to get this brand of product in Johor Bahru???

11. C says:

Nowadays you can buy Ghee Haing biscuits from their website and it will be deliver to your preferred address anywhere in the world… and it still taste that good.