On a boring Saturday, Siang Leng and I decided to make some agar-agar lol. Didn’t know agar-agar is actually obtained from red algae or seaweed until I read this article.
Making the agar-agar is super easy. So easy that I am embarassed to include this under the Recipe category. But anyway
- [tag]Agar-agar[/tag] (stick/powder form)
- Pandan leaves
- Baking moulds
- Food coloring
- If you are using agar-agar sticks, soak them in water for 10-20 minutes to let them soften a bit first.
- Amount of water to boil is proportional to the amount of agar-agar used. The agar-agar (Ferry brand) I bought from Sunshine supermarket is around 300g and according to its instructions, 2.5 litre of water is needed.
- Put the agar-agar into the boiling water and add 15-20 tablespoon of sugar.
- When the agar-agar has fully dissolved, add in the pandan leaves and a few drops of coloring. Mix well and let it boil a while more.
- Drain the agar-agar mixture with a very fine sieve to get rid of undissolved agar-agar. Let the mixture cool down a bit.
- Pour the mixture into baking moulds and keep refrigerated for an hour.