Tao Cuisine All-You-Can-Eat Japanese Buffet @ E-Gate, Penang

**This is about TAO Restaurant in Penang. Click here for the new restaurant at Sunway Giza, Kota Damansara**

Tao Cuisine Japanese Restaurant serves all you can eat Japanese cuisine for RM45++. As far as I know there are two outlets in Penang, E-Gate and Autocity. My last department dinner was held in E-Gate’s Tao so here I am presenting the food we had.

Tao-Japanese-Buffet

Some photos are crappy.. I had to snap them quick so that the others can start eating lol. Each of us is given a menu and you will give your orders to the serving waiter. The orders would be printed out in looong tickets and placed by the table. Every time food arrives the ticket would be taken off, that simple.

Sashimi-Deluxe

Sashimi Deluxe – This plate of raw fish costs RM40!! And we ordered 3 of this, too bad some of us (including me) had to forcefully finish them in the end.. Honestly, while chewing the cuttlefish I felt like I was chewing rubber haha. Tell me, is it supposed to taste like that at all? I just couldn’t learn to appreciate it.. And FYI for every 100gm of unfinished food Tao will charge RM10.

Unagi-Rice

Because Tao prepare the foods fresh (as claimed) upon order and there were more than 10 of us, the food came in extra large quantity.

Firecracker-Roll

The only food which I can remember the name (because I ordered it for it’s unique name) – Firecracker Sushi. Firecracker Sushi! How cool can a sushi’s name get?

Scallops

These are steamed scallops with some mayo or thousand island sauce if I am not mistaken. Tasted a bit spicy too but I like it.

Fish

One thing I didn’t really like was the constant nagging of the waiter. He repeated the same things over and over again about food wastage whenever we placed orders.. OK you made your point, bring on the foods man!

Some-Fish

Some sort of boneless fish that tastes a bit like Unagi.. Really, you can even eat the heads.

Unagi

A big piece of juicy cod fish

Lamb

Lamb chops, they were piled like a small mountain. Too bad they were overcooked and the meat was hard. Must have been quality control issues.

Sushi-N-Sui-Kao

California rolls and dumplings. The california rolls are damn expensive, RM7 each from the ala carte menu! Can you believe the 5 6 rolls above would cost more than half of one person’s buffet bill?

California-Roll

More california rolls. Mike and I simply went on a frenzy ordering for sushi and skewers.

Grilled-Chicken
Grilled-Seafood

Chicken and seafood skewers, yum yum!

Sushi

Ebiko
Unagi, salmon and Ebiko sushi

Fried-Beef
Fried-Stuff
Egg

Then there were some fried food like beef and egg.

Beef-2
Beef

And lastly some cooked beef that I couldn’t care to talk about lol. They were just normal tasting. After all the buzz I have been hearing about Tao Japanese Buffet, it wasn’t that great for me. This citizen’s blog is an interesting read about Tao, and I had to agree with some of her experience even though it happened than a year ago.

Tao-Japanese-Buffet

Sashimi-Deluxe

Unagi-Rice

Firecracker-Roll

Scallops

Fish

Some-Fish

Unagi

A big piece of juicy cod fish

Lamb

Sushi-N-Sui-Kao

California-Roll

Grilled-Chicken
Grilled-Seafood

Chicken and seafood skewers, yum yum!

Sushi

Ebiko
Unagi, salmon and Ebiko sushi

Fried-Beef
Fried-Stuff
Egg

Then there were some fried food like beef and egg.

Beef-2
Beef

80 Comments on “Tao Cuisine All-You-Can-Eat Japanese Buffet @ E-Gate, Penang

1. Mcmug

Hey, Ji-un & JT.nice to meet u two..same feeling with u..i saw many praise comments up there but I am not that agreed..only got 1 food I prefer but the rest not that nice as they said..isn’t the food problems or my stomach problem??

But I think I won’t pay that much to try again ..

2. Kim

Thanks for Ida and her hubby Mr Tan !! This is the best Japanese food that I ever had. Compare to States, best service, best environment , best food and quite good on sashimi. I am hoping the the owner will have interest to invest in State. Give me a mail if you have interest to establish Toa at States !

3. jas

hi…
    i plan to go to eat at tao but im not sure auto city or e-gate one is the best, i’ve read the comments up there that r saying e-gate service is bad, so any suggestion?

vk: hi jas, from my experience at E-Gate, it was OK.. no complaints. But that was already 2 years ago. I think you should listen to the comments and head for TAO at Autocity just to be sure.

4. C.Paz

never try AutoCity Tao before..but e-gate yeah…it’s really annoying when the food are served 2gether with a msg frm waiter / waitress ” Must finish”..and they automatically cut down your orders if repeated or last call…Manager/Supervisor service are bad!

Honestly, the food are nice..and worth…it’s impossible we can get those food frm the menu with only the amount we paid per pax at TAO..
    Is a nice place for food..

5. bennystar99

Hi actually the owner is a canadian taiwanese.He has earlier branches in Canada but it did not do well n decided to open in Penang.However last i heard that many of the workers in Juruauto city the head chef ,sushi chef n many others had left him n join a new restaurant in Penang island.I had not been there but was in E gate b4,was told by my friends that the food had deteriorated since that.They had left him since december08.Think it must be true lor.

6. Ashley

TAO really worth & nice ler… worth.. meal is big & fresh…delicious … enviroment very nice… i just try out E-gate TAO service quite ok… not sure bout auto-city yet… going be try 1 day….

7. johnkor

me 100% can finish the food

8. jlhx

When me and my brothers go to Tao, we always order the sashimi deluxe. We order like 5 sets and on top of that, we have the scallops which are amazing!! By then, were too full to eat anything else but it’s so worth it in cost.

The boneless fish you mentioned is actually pregnant fish. There are eggs inside.

I miss Tao.

9. sushi-boi

Tao is a great place to eat. I have tried both the one at autocity and the one at e-gate. In my opinion, the service at e-gate is MUCH better than at auto-city but the environment at auto city is cooler. In terms of food, i think e-gate is slightly better.

10. allan

any one have tao contact number?

11. JnJCafe

Tao is like the buffet with very very mixed response. It used to be good, I’ve eaten there not less than 15 times throughout 2 years ago. In fact I used to be a damn big fan and a regular there.

Tao is already very horrible. I’ve tried both e-gate and juru autocity, and their standard have dropped tremendously. Completely banned in my books.

FYI, currently, they limit your orders to 2 hours for public holidays and weekends. A lot of the Menu item are always sold out. Let’s start with why it’s being banned for me:

1)Food size is extremely disproportionate , I once ordered spicy salmon handroll, and i’ve got a handroll PILING up with rice and the size of the salmon is less than half an inch , i remember taking a picture at this ridiculous-ness. Unagi Don have a bowl filled with rice and the unagi size is about a square inch.

2) Extreme bad service : During one of the e-gate visits , we arrive at 5:30pm and the lady ( boss or manager not sure ) placed us OUTSIDE the restaurant saying it’s fully booked, so we had to sat at the outmost corner where the waiter/waitresses always always ignore. Later on, i realized there was no reservation, less than half the restaurant was seated up until 9pm. Orders are very slow, missed out and sometimes even wrong. To be fair, they could be understaffed, but that still amounts to horrible business attitude.

3) Menu downgrading: A lot of good stuffs are removed , the cod fish thingy shown in the picture above is gone. If i’m not mistaken, it’s White Tuna. Sashimi deluxe used to have more varieties but are now packing with cheap tuna and very little salmon on my last visit.

4) Horrible quality : Quality used to be moderate ( better than average P.Tikus restauarants but worse than Kampachi ) but it is now horrible. Having ICE inside sashimi is one of the biggest sin for japanese reastaurant and is a full nono. Unfortunately TAO has it. Some of the sashimi are so frozen they’re icy inside.

THere’s just too much bad stuff to be listed here. So much so that I can’t think of any other reason why I would wanna go there anymore.
    To be fair they have one thing good though, they always manage to keep their food decently presentable.

12. kusopanda

I wan to go ~~
    but can i have the map of this ?

13. Anonymous

har…u never go eat before???omg…….u come from jungle????

14. annil tan

I 100percent agree that we shouldn’t waste food. But if we really finish everything we’ve ordered …why must the waiters show their faces when we repeat the orders? afterall it’s the “eat all u can” thing that attracts people.

15. jess

i want noe tao at autocity de tel,cos i wan do booking~~can give me noe

1. Anonymous

04 5017826 tel Autocity
      04 6587826 tel E-gate

1. Ming

thanks, have been looking everywhere for the numbers for none of the blogs that introduce delicacies provide the numbers.

2. Jam

another branch tao in KL?

16. Food critic

TAO IS EXTREMELY BAD IN SUNWAY DAMANSARA! KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. Food quality is extremely bad – beef is obviously from India or Malaysia as it tasted bad and was extremely tough. Wonder why teppanyaki beef and scallop tasted like cinnamon?
    Nothing is good except for the salad – how good can a restaurant get if they can only get the salad right. We sent back all the food after only taking a bite and the waiter had to chic to ask ‘Is anything wrong with the food’ – after asking we answered yes, its very bad and he walked away. ? Sigh good luck to TAO – your days are numbered.

17. I have never understood the fascination Penang people have with Tao. I’ve heard from many Penangites that it is really “ho liao”. I beg to differ.

When it first opened years ago, I tried it out and thought it was bad. Gave it a second chance a while later and it was still bad. I have not been back ever since and don’t plan to. The food is bad, the service is bad and I’m sorry but whoever says it’s good, then they must have not had decent Japanese fare before.~
    .-= Jean´s last blog ..That Little Wine Bar- Penang =-.

18. Pingback: TAO Authentic Asian Cuisine Ala Carte Buffet @ Sunway Giza, Kota Damansara « Malaysia Food Blog, Malaysia Travel Blog

19. asking

can i know, is it halal for muslim??

1. hi asking, it is not halal. pork free only

1. kiwi

it IS halal, as i was told by the manager, i worked at TAO autocity last time

20. christy

hi any one can recommend to me – queensbay mall which food is good

21. lim

the 50% off for those born in may is it that 1 person born in may cn pay 4 the whole table like 3 other person aso gt 50% discount?
    lim´s last blog post ..Banana Leaf Rice @ Restoran Sri Paandi PJ- Section 11

1. TAO autocity ex-worker

nope, the promotion is only for the person born in May, and during May only. the rest pay normal price

=)

22. TAO autocity ex-worker

to be honest, it is not worth to eat there, unless u can eat a lot over there

(comments below r for TAO autocity, since i never been to TAO e-gate)

the sashimi is nt fresh; the so called ‘cod fish’ is actually a cheaper price cousin of it called ‘butter fish’; ‘abalone’ is actually a kind of abalone clam; waiting time for food serving is a bit long especially peak hour (bt it seems they have improved a lot based on my latest experience).

they have recently raise their buffet price, and most of the server there r part-timers (bt tat doesnt means we r nt professional enuf, just u know we already try our best).

if u really wan to dine in over there, suggest to go there during weekdays lunch time, have it without the sashimi (it will be much much cheaper, and trust me… the sashimi DOES NOT worth the extra price). and dun forget to make reservation in advance

23. Anonymous

Today I’ve served by a waiter namely BOAM (2049) which given us a very bad service. Not only not asking if we’ve done eating with foods while we’re taking pictures and took of our food but doubting us whether we could finish the foods we’ve ordered. By taking off the food without asking us and claimed that we couldn’t finish the food and wants to charge us the wasted food. This is not something up to the satisfactory level.
    The Cashier number: 202 Cashier (KDKL)
    Served By: 2049 BOAM
    VIP2 15/08/2011 22:06:46

24. gwen

i wouldn’t recommend this restaurant if anyone preferred better service for the price paid in fact the staff can certainly learn something even from fast food chain store….. they rating is so bad i would rate only 5/10…… they even set all their worker to mostly foreign worker who don’t really understand English… to make the matter even worse the manager so sarcastically reply me when i ask about the order mistake done by the worker … wont go again in the foreseeable future