Nasi Kandar Line Clear, off Penang Road

Nasi Kandar Line Clear located in an alley off Penang Road, between two buildings offers one of the most authentic [tag]nasi kandar[/tag] in [tag]Penang[/tag]. Being in business for nearly 50 years, it is also among the oldest nasi kandar stalls. If you didn’t know, Penang is the place where nasi kandar is born. It has become so famous, that many nasi kandar stalls and chain restaurants are mushrooming all over [tag]Malaysia[/tag].

If there’s something stopping me from eating nasi kandar, it would be the price. Well, and sometimes being health conscious lol. Most restaurants charge exoribant price of RM6-7 for a simple plate of one meat and two vege. You can be put that worry aside when eating at [tag]Line Clear[/tag], their nasi kandar is very reasonably priced.

line clear nasi kandar

For example, a plate of nasi kandar consisting of a whole curry chicken thigh, curry beef and a vege costs under RM7, with lots of rice given too!

curry chicken

The curry chicken is so cooked so tenderly that it falls off the bone as you cut it. No kidding! Most nasi kandar stalls I’ve been to prepare their dishes with mild spiciness. This lacks the ‘kick’ for me because I like my nasi kandar spicy! Thankfully Line Clear’s curries are spicy enough to win my heart. So, if you are like me who loves their nasi kandar spicy, Line Clear will not disappoint.

nasi kandar

Don’t be surprised if the staff talks to you in Hokkien, I somehow felt that their Hokkien is more fluent than mine lol. Service is also top knotch, the uncle who served me was very polite and patient. Every question I had about the dishes, “ini daging apa? apakah itu?” he responded nicely without any sign of frustration. Line Clear has also received a fair share of media coverage, and even Kenny Sia ate here once. He absolutely loved it!

nasi kandar

If you are unsure what dishes to take, do not hesitate to ask for their recommendations! Woah looking back at the photos, man I am dying to try the fried chicken, curry squids and prawns. The nasi kandar I have access to in Seri Kembangan and Cyberjaya couldn’t satisfy my cravings.. ahh I miss Penang and the food, glorious nasi kandar!

nasi kandar line clear

This road is quite hidden from the main road so make sure you keep your eyes wide open when looking for it. It is diagonally opposite Odean Cinema, a few shops away from the junction of Penang Road and Chulia Street. I usually park my car along Chulia Street and walk there. It’s much easier that way. Don’t be put off by the thought of eating in an alley, sometimes food tastes much better that way, haha.

1. Jenifer says:

Seems so delicious, your post makes me hungry…I think it is similar with nasi rendang from Padang. But nasi rendang is using beef intead of chichken and doesn’t use vegetable. I’m interested with your blog because I like to read and dicuss about food.

2. buzzingbee says:

I pass by here all the time…but still never tried the nasi kandar yet : /
    Hope the price will not increase exorbitantly now!!

buzzingbee’s last blog post..Going once, twice…..

vk: You should really try this loh.. but if you scare the price is expensive.. I think Shariff @ Gelugor is still reasonable and maintaining their prices :) I personally prefer Shariff’s.

3. J2Kfm says:

yeah, Line Clear was what they shout when a table is cleared, right?
    do they still do that?

J2Kfm’s last blog post..An Early Bird’s Take on Petaling Street, Kuala Lumpur

vk: yes they still do that :) I heard it when my table was cleared before I left

4. Patricia says:

It was my very fist time there last week, i grown up in penang but never been there before until i read about it from Lilian. Now i live in the USA acutally just touched down from penang, already missing it.

vk: i tried the friend chicken and squid, not the prawn though, the fried chicken was freshly fried when i went there so it was crispy and nicely cooked very very good, the squid is pretty nice too. There is just one thing that truly make you sick about eating at line clear, wild cats are alright, i mean it is pretty normal in penang to have cats around hawker but i saw a rat as big as the cats, roaming around the left hand side of the sitting area. Even though the food is yummy, price is reasonably but when i saw the rat, whatever that taste good instantly gone sour.

5. Leonard says:

Haha it’s pretty normal to see the cat size rat running at Penang streets, the last one I saw was at Jelutong “Leng Lui Thong Shoui” having CKT there…

6. An chua says:

The curry there is to spicy for my liking. Put it this way, it could make the drunkard wake instantly, just like the scene in back to the future III.

vk: Yep, their curry is spicier compared with other nasi kandar stalls.. so far I like the Shariff’s the most.. I haven’t tasted the one beside Kapitan Keling mosque yet.. maybe it will become my favorite after that..

7. Rosli says:

I went to Line Clear with my family a couple of weeks ago. The food was mediocre and the price was quite unreasonably high. I think its popularity is just a hype. Food lovers should try Ipoh’s nasi ganja or wange wange at old Tg Rambutan bus station. If you love briani you can go to Saleem at Kuala Kangsar Road.

8. nasrol @ JHEOA Malaysia says:

im from penang & working at JHEOA Gombak now, i’m a line clear regular customer for a few years…100% delicious

9. nemen says:

power gilaaaaa!!!!

10. GI Joe says:

Line clear the best so far. ..balance taste..never fail to break a sweat…day or night…KICK!!!!
    KG melayu nasi kandar just as good…
    Just as nasi kandar beratoq!…curry a bit lite…but still nice…great for beginner!!!
    Shariff…never tried…shouldnt be disspointin..i think
    In alor star….nasi lemak ROYALE..give it a try..tha BOMB
    was a fan of Pelita….before their massive expansion….
    In KL…try Yaseen nasi kandar….along jalan tunku abdul rahman
    should also try….Kudu(nearby Yaseen….P. Ramlee’s favourite i was told)…and Ibramsha (further up Jlan TAR..)
    there is also one in PJ…called Zainul(near A&W amcorp mall)..spiciest curry of all nasi kandar but less the KICK!…still very nice though..

11. Mizan says:

kini Nasi Kandar Line Clear tlh mmbuka cawangan di Kepala Batas oleh adk bradik mereka juga yg beralamat di No.1327, Lorong Malinja 1,Kepala Batas,Penang.sesiapa yg berada di luar pulau,tidak perlu msuk ke pulau lg dan boleh ke cwangan di Kepala Batas.Harga berpatutan!maklumat lanjut call H/P: 016-4638746 / 016-4638246 (Salim@owner di kpala batas)

12. shamir teo says:

line clear hanya satu~~

tu di penang road sahaja~~

x ada cawangan lain~~

line clear x ada adik beradik~~

sebernarnya nama line clear telah diCURI utk melaris perniagaan~~

line clear hanya satu di malaysia~~tidak ada cawangan dimana~~

harap maklum~~