Hameed Pata Special Mee Goreng Sotong @ Padang Kota Lama, Penang

[tag]Mee goreng[/tag]! There’s a stall in Padang Kota Lama (Esplanade) that sells some kickass and spicy mee goreng that will definitely make you ask for more. Hameed ‘Pata’ Special Mee is hidden in a small food court next to the famous Fort Cornwallis. If you didn’t know its exact location you probably will miss it because it’s not really that visible from the main road.
However, Siang Leng was here before so I had absolutely no problem in locating this fabulous mee goreng. It is one of the best in Penang and you’d be crazy to miss this!

mee goreng

The mee goreng has all the flavor – sweet, sour and spicy. Sweetness from the gravy used to fry the noodles, hint of sourness from the lime and spiciness from the delicious cuttlefish. Ada kick! The ingredients used are pretty simple as you can see, just like those used in any other Indian fried noodles in [tag] Penang[/tag] .
So, the only things that can make the difference are the gravy and cuttlefish. They are really the main contributors to the noodles’ tastiness that made it stood out from the rest.

hameed pata special mee goreng

The stall seemed to be manned by two young cook and although they looked damn cincai when frying the noodles, the outcome was not disappointing at all lol. Besides mee goreng there are also mee rebus and other types of fried noodles. But usually people come here for their famous mee goreng. Only RM3.50 for a plate of satisfaction, guaranteed.

hameed mee goreng

Arggh my stomach is growling by looking at the photo alone, and I just taken my dinner! Sigh, those in Penang are so lucky.. I can’t even find a great mee goreng here in Seri Kembangan. Well, some are quite good, but not as great as Hameed‘s.
One thing you need to be careful while enjoying your mee goreng here, the birds especially crows. There are PLENTY of them and they like to hang out in the trees in the food court’s premise. So, if you don’t want your noodles to have extra “toppings” you better watch out where you sit lol.

Map: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=5.4200561&lon=100.3428286&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

mee goreng

hameed pata special mee goreng

hameed mee goreng

Map: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=5.4200561&lon=100.3428286&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

29 Comments on “Hameed Pata Special Mee Goreng Sotong @ Padang Kota Lama, Penang

1. OMG…I’m starting to miss the mee goreng in Penang…..:( Mee Jalil, mee sotong!!!~~~

e-Leng’s last blog post..Company Profile

2. Agreed, agreed! This mee goreng really takes the cake! But needs a huge dose of patience though – the last time I was there, the wait took over 45 mins! On a weekday afternoon at around 4PM!

550ml jar of faith’s last blog post..Medan Selera Ah Goh, Brickfields

1. Anonymous

Would any kind soul have this stall’s contact? Not to sure of his business hours etc.

3. very spicy and great mee goreng…. never judge from their “cincai”ness…

Huat Koay favourite stall

PenangTuaPui’s last blog post..Penang Restaurant: Miraku @ G Hotel Jap Food

4. Jasmine

Next time, do try the coconut-shake drink at the stall next to it. Fresh coconut water and slices of young tender coconut in a glass with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top. Its a great combination to go with the mee goreng!

5. im not a fan of mee goreng, but my dad and brother love mee goreng. must tell them abt this liao! :)
    plus i can go and try that coconut shake that jasmine mentioned! :)

lingzie’s last blog post..Durian Butter Cake!

6. Yum Yum… your pics make me drool… I can see that there’s lots of cuttlefish… Must go try. Hehe

allie’s last blog post..How’s the shots?

7. Lingy

one of my favourites for a few years… definitely worth it, coz such a huge portion…

on another note, do try out the western food (chinese stall) opposite the mee goreng stall. Try the chicken cutlet.. :)

8. Myf

Oh yeah, i recognise this! Mee mamak at Padang Kota. I lke it very spicy despite my sensitive tummy. Great blog, by the way. Keep up the good work! :-)

Myf’s last blog post..Ara Seafood Cafe, Bayan Baru, Penang

9. Yummy… I can’t wait to pay them a visit again. The only problem would be the long wait and the extra “bombs” LOL!

Criz Lai’s last blog post..REVIEW – CAFÉ CANTINA

10. Absolutely true.
    I’m working in Sri Kembangan as well. Mee goreng in Sri Kembangan are none as good, from the ‘look’ of it alone! :)

Have you tried the Jalan Ipoh’s UmaRani mamak restaurant? I think their mee goreng, nasi lemak and roti tisu are quite good, if i still can remember well… Cheers!

Cecil Lee’s last blog post..Top 5 Low-Cost Airlines Of The Year 2008

11. SamuelC

Missing the mee mamak in Penang…
    Where can i find the good mee goreng in KL?

vk: I don’t know too :(

12. wow… looks really nice n authenthic !! must b spicy

Jackson Kah’s last blog post..Alexis Bistro, Great Eastern Mall, Ampang

13. How come I also never heard of this before? I love sotong and will make this my next destination. BTW, you are in Penang or KL ah? Why never join the food bloggers lah, thought can meet up with you last night.

lilian’s last blog post..Can someone please tell Faridah Begum in Sunday Star her photos suxs?

14. foreverjas

aww.the best mee goreng ever !!!

it rox ! love it !

i’m so hungry

15. Alma

Is this in the Fort Convolis (spelling?) place? If it is, then I tried it before, and its awesome!

16. Alma

Oops… Just read it! Sorry…

17. howeyelaine

hungry hungry……:)

18. kumiko

i miss this mee sotong so much…
    last time work in Penang almost every friday go there….

19. kennishin

Damn good for those who like spicy , its super spicy ..
    Never ask extra “cha bai”(chili) unless you really can handle most spicy ..

20. Food_Hunter

the mee goreng / mee rebus next to NEw World PArk, Burmah Road Penang is also good.

although normally prepared byy indians/mamaks, the stall at Burmah Road is prepared by chinese couple!

the preice is oni Rm3-00. do try. i highly recommend it. (pls oso try the mee rebus. …damn…. i m hungry now :) )

21. Yong Nenas

Hameed Pata Mee Goreng is BY FAR the best mee goreng mamak in Penang. There used to be a few mamaks going around town with their push cart selling authentic mee goreng in the 60′s-80′s, but they have long dissappeared. This is as close as you can get to a ‘real’ mee goreng mamak. Those at mamak chain restaurants are (sadly) NOTHING.

22. Mel

OMG. I stumbled across your blog doing ‘research’ for a dinner date and found myself reading almost every post!

I Love This Blog. Especially all your posts on Penang hawker food!

This Mee Sotong was a favourite of mine growing up – I still remember how I’d be gasping for water after a ‘hit’ of those spicy noodles!!!

This has got to be one of the best Mee Goreng Mamaks ever.

1. hi Mel, thanks for reading. I love blogging about Penang food but too bad I am working in KL now.. sigh

23. It’s probably the best Mee Sotong in the island. Goes great with the ice kacang from the next stall!

1. Anonymous

but u all i thnk u should try ice kacang next to hameed mee sotong…it dlcious

24. Pingback: Jalil Special Ice Kacang @ Food Court Next To Fort Cornwallis « Malaysia Food Blog, Malaysia Travel Blog

25. in a blender grind prawn paste and belachan paste
    ikan billis paste ginger garlic paste 5 tablespoon
    lit the stove pour in oil and chopped onions and green chillys put in the yellow noodles put in the soya sauce pepper powder and grinded paste mix well and grinded chilli 20 tablespoons and salt mix wells

26. Zen

I would suggest you try my mee goreng sotong powerrr at Seksyen 2 Shah Alam and give your comment
    Zen´s last blog post ..Macam-Macam Gelagat Pelanggan