Yam Rice @ Taman Sentosa, Bukit Mertajam

One of the must try food in my hometown – Bukit Mertajam is Yam Rice. There are a few good ones around and one of them is located in Taman Sentosa. If you are coming from BM town, Taman Sentosa is a small residential area which lies along Jalan Kulim on the way to Cherok Tok Kon and Kulim. This area also houses many good food and seafood restaurants.

yam rice

Basically Yam Rice is a type of rice cooked together with chunks of yam, dried shrimps and light soy sauce. If you are interested in the recipe, there’s a step by step guide you can use from MalaysiaBest. For most people who haven’t eaten Yam Rice before, they might not like it immediately.
But after eating it a few more times, it grows on you. So, Yam Rice is somewhat an acquired taste, well at least for me. I know, because I used to dislike it but love it now, lol.

yam rice soup

Yam Rice is meant to be eaten with a bowl of salted vegetable soup consisting of pork meat balls, lean meat, three layer meat. For those who are more daring, you can also opt for the innards like the liver, belly and intestines. I usually have my order without innards because of hygiene issues.
To fully enjoy Yam Rice, you must dip the meat into the chili and dark soy sauce – even if you aren’t a chili fan! If not you will be missing the ‘kick’ that makes Yam Rice nice.

yam rice stall

Taste wise, I consider this as 3rd best in Bukit Mertajam. The tastiest Yam Rice still goes to the stall below IBM institute in the town. 2nd best is at Taman Mutiara.

sentosa corner

If you didn’t know, Sentosa Corner is also the coffee shop that sells Ji Bao Gai and nice fried chicken at night. For the map, take a look at this link in Wikimapia.
GPS Coordinates: N5 21.229 E100 28.330

1. cumi&ciki says:

not a huge fan of yam-rice, but looks good enough to give it a try;)

2. Christine says:

A must try when I’m back to Msia next year. Missin’ the food and blogging about Msian delicacies so much :P

Love yam but have not tasted any nice yam rice b4 :)

Christine’s last blog post..LOVE is priceless

3. enzymo says:

Have you tried the 1 in Juru ( shop lot , near the Juru Height’s crossroad) , it is a bit difference cos all the pork meat & ingredients are “just” cooked, others are usually slightly over cooked.

And, I think the stall below IBM has moved to nearby shop.

4. gigglebutt says:

Hi… I’m so happy to see you finally post this Yam Rice stall, I was there on 31-Aug., not seeing anyone looks like you leh… :-p !! This is my favorite yam rice stall, I like the soup not too sour, the one operated by his brother in Chai Leng Park tasted too sour for me (just my personal liking). If you have a chance, try the Koey Chap in the same kopitiam, for me, it is better than the one in Pek Gong Cheng…! I’m looking forward to see more posts from you about the food in BM. :-)
    P/S : You may find something nice from the food court just next to the Sentosa Corner kopitiam, I like the char bee hoon and ang tau th’ng there, nothing fancy, but just something about “kor cha bee” LOL!!!

5. jijitankyy says:

Prefer the one below IBM because the Yam rice really yum yum..

6. chloe says:

good job man!i’m was very impressed with your blog!keep it up!Looking forward to see more good food!
    i can also provide you some good place to ‘tham jia’ all the way!!!

7. Samantha says:

You should try the the “char siew” paste their.. I don know they call it in chinese..

8. tcboy says:

maybe i hav different taste
    but i think beside IBM tuition centre there de nicer
    and taman mutiara there de also not bad

9. yc cheong says:

out of curiousity, why the taste of the yam rice soup taste sour???? i am from KL….difficult to find good yam rice nowadays…..

vk: hmm, I think it’s to help whet your appetite. come to BM for the best lah :)

10. nikel says:

tat is my favorite too….hehe…but prefer at IBM thr d…IBM there easy parking