Pan Ki Dim Sum @ Sri Petaling

On the first day of Raya, I started off the day by having a wonderful [tag]dim sum[/tag] [tag]breakfast[/tag] at one of the best dim sum [tag]restaurant[/tag] in Sri PetalingPan Ki. Surprisingly, it has the same Chinese name with Phang Key – another good dim sum restaurant nearby in Happy Garden. I don’t know if they’re related but their dim sum is really different from each other.

har gao

The variety of dim sum at Pan Ki is wide and they have a big steaming station. Bamboo steamers stacked as tall as a man are used to cope with the huge customer turnout. I had to wait for a while before finally getting a table for two.
But the short wait has proven very worthwhile. The Har Gao was nice with succulent prawns wrapped in thin translucent skin that didn’t break easily – a proof of the chef’s skill.

siu mai
dim sum

Other steamed dim sum like Siu Mai and Har Mai are pretty good too.

fried dim sum

Deep fried minced meat dumplings were crunchy and delicious. Most importantly, it did not have the undesirable odor from reused cooking oil.

gai wo bao

‘Gai Wo Bao’ (鸡窝包) is a specialty of Pan Ki and it was promoted in many Chinese dailies before. The bun has a curly shape with lots of different fillings inside like glutinous rice, chicken, mushroom and salted egg.
So, basically it’s like ‘no mai gai’ wrapped in a bun. Even the taste is quite similar.

fried radish cake

Hong Kong style fried radish cake is also a popular item in Pan Ki. But, I didn’t really liked it because it was quite oily.

porridge

Then, we finished off with a small bowl of rich porridge which looked authentically gluey. If you like dessert, Pan Ki also sells good ‘Sai Mai Lou’ but you gotta be early before it finishes.

pan ki dim sum

A meal like this consisting of 10 different items including a pot of Chinese tea cost RM30.40. After working out the cost, the dim sum is priced roughly around RM2.50 to RM3.00 each. Pretty reasonable if you ask me, highly recommended.
In case you didn’t know, Janbo the restaurant that serves dim sum buffet is situated just a bit further down the same road.

GPS Coordinates: N3 04.107 E101 41.441 (malfreemaps)
Map: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=3.0684009&lon=101.6908479&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

har gao

siu mai
dim sum

Other steamed dim sum like Siu Mai and Har Mai are pretty good too.

fried dim sum

gai wo bao

fried radish cake

porridge

pan ki dim sum

GPS Coordinates: N3 04.107 E101 41.441 (malfreemaps)
Map: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=3.0684009&lon=101.6908479&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

17 Comments on “Pan Ki Dim Sum @ Sri Petaling

1. My favourite dim sum place in Sri Petaling.

YeinJee’s last blog post..Korean actress Choi Jin-shil commits suicide

2. We love to eat in sri petaling area. Must now go try out Pan Ki 4 sure!

3. rather cheap, even by Ipoh’s standards. but then again, Ipoh’s dimsum’s prices has skyrocketed.
    but Pan Ki serve those NOT in those baskets (or whatever they call them), but on small plates? hmmm … funny.

J2Kfm’s last blog post..R U Lohas – Ipoh’s First Organic Cafe?

4. The owner has shifted to Sri Petaling.

I’m not sure whether she still handles the one in Happy Garden, but I don’t think so.

Chong’s last blog post..Dinner At Delicious, 1 Utama

5. For dim sum, my favourite will be lor mai kai, char siew bao, har kao, egg tart and hk style chee cheong fun. All these normally will in my order list during my visit to the dim sum restaurant. i never try dim sum in KL. Must have a try next time when I go there.

allenooi’s last blog post..Big Apple Donuts & Coffee

6. eh, not coming back to BM for holiday?

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..Foodbuzz Featured Publisher

7. Still have not come across the Gai Wo Bao in Pg. Although it is the usual no mai gai that is wrapped in a bun but sure looks yummy. New ideas are popping up in every different food outlets nowadays.

ck lam @what2see’s last blog post..Triple Consecutive Touching Moments

8. Ooh gluey porridge is a MUST during any dim sum session! Is that century egg? Pricing sounds reasonable too!

550ml jar of faith’s last blog post..Kung Fu Pan Mee, Taman Sri Sentosa

9. The dimsum looks sooooooo tasty.

And kudos to your shot compositions… the macro shots are awesome. :)

Lady’s last blog post..China stocks may peak in 2008

vk: Thanks! I still felt they can be improved though. I can’t take too long when shooting the dim sum because they won’t taste as nice when they turn cold.

10. kayshoun

I really don’t want to spoil the party here, but this is a true story happened about 4 years ago. When I first came to KL, I lived with my friend in Sri Petaling. I love the dim sum at Pan Ki and I’ll have it on Saturdays and Sundays with friends.
    Then, about 4 years ago, I brought a friend from Penang over to Pan Ki. I ordered the customary dishes plus 1 lo mai kai for my friend. She dipped her fork into it and she found not one, but HALF of a cockroach in the lo mai kai.
    The lady boss came to apologise and said that our meal is on her. But we couldn’t eat anymore and we left. And that was the last time I went to Pan Ki.

11. Kenix Seah

Could you give me the loaction/address?

vk: Hi Kenix, please refer to the wikimapia for the location. http://wikimapia.org/#lat=3.0684009&lon=101.6908479&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2 I am sorry I do not have the full address.

12. john chung

eh Vkeong i walk over there also can , walking distance from my house 10 minutes

13. hello, can i recommend another dim sum shop?
    its at happy garden,
    nearby the night market which is on every saturdays.

i think its the same family as well.

personally i think its better den this seri petaling ones.

just my 2 cents :)

vk: I think you mean Phang Key? I went there before :) It’s good

14. fahimi

hi, im dim sum lover. but it hard to find Halal dim sum except at hotel.it expensive and so so taste (not value for money). vk or anyone, have any suggestion place?

vk: Hi Fahimi, I heard that you can get good halal dim sum at Sime Darby Convention center, it’s not a hotel so I think it suits ur need. Hope this helps.

15. A lot of dim sum restaurant at Sri Petaling, but guess recently those really taste good not really there already.

16. Niiiceeee ~

After makan can go Pusat Kesihatan up there :hehe: ^^

Chris ( SkyNet000 )’s last blog post..ProJek CoDe PinKx *** Update 15 MAC 2009 ***

17. jackson

i think there is a dim sum house located in btw kuchai lama & happy garden is much more better. ” Kam Hin” HK dim sum house….can try. Another one is very old old style is located opposite previous MTC company,chan show lin, only open after 8 or 9pm till mid nite. The “big” bao & Red bean bow is very famous….always finish sell b4 12am…..can try but parking is a challenge….beside highways…..hehe