Tony Roma’s @ The Gardens, Midvalley

I first visited Tony Roma’s early this year and left disappointed with the set lunch they were promoting. After that, many left comments suggesting I go for the food they’re most famous for – ribs. Pork ribs are available in UK/Singapore but since the menu in Malaysia is halal, the next best thing we can have is beef ribs.

beef ribs

So, when I was given a complimentary meal by Tony Roma’s (TR) Manager Adam I knew it was the perfect chance to sample the famous ribs and other signature dishes. Bountiful Beef Ribs is a plateful of big, meaty beef ribs basted with TR’s sauces.

beef ribs

There are two types of serving size: Roma Rack @ RM49.90 or Full Rack @ RM68.90. Shown here is the Roma Rack which includes three pieces of beef rib, cole slaw and fries. It was really awesome – a little crispy on the outside, but the meat was still soft enough to come off the bones easily.

Among the four TR signature sauces (which come in bottels) of Original, Carolina Honeys, Blue Ridge Smokies and TR’s Red Hots, I liked Carolina Honeys the most. For me, it complemented the dish perfectly.

soup-of-the-day

Soup of the day – Vegetable Beef soup, a hearty and flavorful soup with generous amount of beef slices.

kickin-shrimp

One of our starters was Kickin’ Shrimp @ RM19.90 – tender fresh shrimps are fried to crispy golden brown and tossed in a creamy and slightly spicy sauce, then stacked nicely on a bed of green salad. I read from a blog mentioning that this dish actually used 32 shrimps to prepare! I didn’t count though, lol.

potato-skin

Our second appetizer was Potato Skin @ RM14.90. TR’s potato skin is topped with cheddar cheese and beef bacon, not bad at all. Ranch dressing – a condiment made of mostly sour cream and mayonnaise served as the dipping sauce.

lamb chop

One of TR’s signature steaks – Grilled Lamb Chops @ RM42.90. This is a real value-for-money dish, simply because you will be given five huge pieces of lamb chops!

lamb chop

Three choices of topping (Bleu Cheese Crust, Shiitake Mushrooms or Caramel Glazed Onions) can be added for RM5.90. Accepting the waitress’ recommendation, we opted for Shiitake Mushrooms. Sadly, it turned out to be a bad choice as the mushrooms tasted bitter and ruined the dish a little. This aside, it was actually quite ok.

cod fish

Tony Roma’s is purportedly to well known for their Ribs, Seafood and Steak. Because, that three terms are present in their company’s logo. So, in an attempt to try one dish from every of their specialty we ordered Grilled Pacific Cod served with Kickin’ Sauce @ RM39.90 for the last main course. Topping wise, we took the waitress’ advice again and opted for Kickin’ Sauce.

cod-fish

The Kickin’ Sauce used here was the exact same sauce used for the starter we had earlier, Kickin’ Shrimp. The other toppings available are Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, Garlic Scampi Butter and Tomato Pesto Salad. Side dishes were rice and fresh broccoli. If you don’t fancy Pacific Cod, the other fish you can have is Norwegian Salmon.

chocolate-avalanche

For dessert, only TR’s Chocolate Avalanche @ RM12.90 managed to capture my attention. Besides being a signature dessert, the photo of the dessert on the menu was just too tempting. Anyway, you should know that the chocolate avalanche didn’t arrive looking like what was displayed.
In the menu, the dessert was shown as vanilla ice cream sitting on a Molten chocolate cake and hot fudge. But, as you can see the chocolate avalanche was just served in a Margarita glass instead. Taste wise it was good but no where as awesome as Friday’s Mocha Mud Pie.

drinks

The different drinks three of us ordered that day (from front to back): Pina Strawberry Swirl @ RM13.90, Strawberry Daiquiri @ RM13.90 and Chocolate Milkshake.
I wouldn’t recommend Strawberry Daiquiri if you like sweet drinks because it’s actually pretty sour. It’s not a bad thing really, as the drink is made by blending real strawberries. And we all know strawberry doesn’t taste sweet actually, lol.

tony-romas

I enjoyed the meal pretty much and it has changed my perception towards Tony Roma’s, they are OK in my book now. One last thing though, I can’t wait to get to Singapore to try out their pork ribs after reading ugwug’s blog post, it looks just too damn awesome!

beef ribs

beef ribs

soup-of-the-day

kickin-shrimp

potato-skin

lamb chop

lamb chop

cod fish

cod-fish

chocolate-avalanche

drinks

tony-romas

32 Comments on “Tony Roma’s @ The Gardens, Midvalley

1. The Kickin’ Shrimp and Grilled Lamb Chops is impressive!

Chin’s last blog post..EcoGreen Life Cafe, Taman Tun

2. Every single piece of shrimp in the Kickin’ Shrimp looks like being coated with the sauce. Yummy.

The grilled lamb chop and the cod fish looks so delicious. Haha.. In fact everything looks delicious to me. Your pics make me drool!

allie’s last blog post..Mee Goreng Sotong

vk: Looks can be pretty deceiving :) The shrimps/ribs/fish are good.. but the lamb chops need more improvement

3. lucky you! we didn’t have such a good experience here, with the burger or the steak! maybe the food has improved.. but it’s hard to get us back there.. once bitten.. so to speak!

cumi&ciki’s last blog post..Mee Jawa @ Casa Tropicana

vk: You’re right.. actually I won’t even bother to dine at any restaurants if my first experience was bad. But since this is a complimentary meal… haha

4. Derrick Michael Khoo

Hi there,

I was with my family dining at your outlet in the Gardens. My wife ordered Bar B Que Chicken with Corn and Coleslaw while my daugther had tenderloin Chicken with Fresh Veg and French Fries while I had Chicken Platter with Pasto Salad and Coleslaw. The only thing I feel is that my Platter Chickens looks so sparingly on my big plate, maybe the way it was arranged on the plate.
    We thoroughly enjoy the meal though especially the corn and coleslaw, simply fantastic.
    You have got good young staff in Carmen and the other chinese girl who has long straight hair, altjough I didn’t get her name.
    Anyway, all your staff can be nurtured to be excellent staff in Tony Romas if they can be trained to be more alert and the shortage of staff with the business volume you had last night was visibly seen.

5. Tony Romas doesn’t mean much to me here, because I don’t eat beef :-( Still, the Kickin shrimps and the cod looks delicious enough. I’ll remember that, thanks!

550ml jar of faith’s last blog post..A pint, or five, Online Pub and Brussels Beer Cafe

6. I am with 550ml jar of faith… But I know Tony Romas in Spore serves Pork Ribs and it’s one of the best too. Unfortunately we can’t find it here in M’sia.

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..Strada Restaurant & Patisserie

7. when they first opened in Pavilion, I tried their set lunches. the beef burger was far from juicy and the other chicken steak (or something along the line) was a tad better, yet did not captivate me.

maybe I should go for the ribs. or the cod.

J2Kfm’s last blog post..Taiwanese Traditional Snacks @ Yong He Soya Milk, Ipoh

vk: My first experience was same with you, I also had the set lunch at Pavilion.. it didn’t impress me as well.

8. Aiks, too bad I do not like beef!

How much I wish to go to Singapore to try out the Pork Ribs!

Xcen’s last blog post..Recipe for: The Simplest Fried Fish ever!

9. free one, thats y its now ok on your books?

i quite liked the beef ribs eventhough it is not pork n pork is the more famous 1s..

lotsofcravings’s last blog post..Crystal Jade Restaurant @ Gardens, Mid Valley

vk: compared with the last meal I had in Pavilion which was a disaster, this meal was a great improvement. They’re OK, not great.

10. I do find that it is a bit difficult eating desserts from a glass especially when it involves cake . It’s easier to taste the different flavours of the dessert serve on a plate.

ck lam’s last blog post..@The Sun Restaurant in Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Centre, Penang

11. I am going to S’pore tonight but not sure will go to try out the pork ribs or not. it’s quite expensive to me!

allenooi’s last blog post..Japin Restaurant @ Queensbay Mall

vk: Yeah, if converted to RM, it’s about RM70-80. But if you are earning $S, then it would seem cheap lol

12. I went there about 3 weeks ago. I tried their signature shrimp pasta (forgotten what the name of the dish)… It’s absolutely delicious. The aromas and herbs makes the pasta so yummy, there’s a lot of shrimps too….. haha..yummy food makes me forgot to take pictures…

elaine’s last blog post..You think you can dance !?

vk: Oh yeah I actually had quite a number of people suggesting me to try that shrimp paste you mentioned. From the photo alone I can see they are really very generous with the shrimps.. good stuff I think

13. Anonymous

i’ve been having TR like three times in November, and just had dinner at TR Sunway last night…

i am a big fan of their Burgers and their Rice, absolutely delicious… for those who had bad experience with their burgers, should try their Crispy Onion Burger, do not forget to ask for Honey Mustard, the burger tastes magnificient with the sauce!

overall, i’ll give a 8.5/10…

14. I only ever went to two TR, the one in Gardens and in Sunway Pyramid. Both had vastly different level of service and I prefer Sunway Lagoon way better than Gardens. Food wise – I love their steak. Yummy!

vk: Yeah I heard about the different standards in Cineleisure too.. among all I think the outlet at Pavilion has the dimmest lightings.. unsuitable for photography if you ask me

15. Yups! Told ya TR’s is good :D glad you enjoyed it this time ’round! The kicking shrimp is made from 32 shrimps – and I too didn’t count but that’s what the friendly waiter shared with us

Cheryl Wee’s last blog post..Uhu! hu! from The Loaf @ The Pavillion KL

16. tammy

the Asian salmon is really good especially if you’re on a diet…i make sure i go there at least once a month

17. Nazuri Yamada

is it Halal, for all those food at Tony Romas? or they serve Alcohol there? pls answer, bcoz i plan to visit this restaurant soon.

thanks. :)

1. I don’t think it’s halal because alcoholic drinks on sale. Pork free only.

1. Anonymous

hi vkeong. i really appreciate your answer. most ppl will just say that it’s halal even though there’s alcoholic drinks on sale just because there’s no pork served. thank you very much for your straight answer.

18. ayu

How about kid meals?
    Bringing 3-4 kids to Tony soon.
    How about the price and selection?

19. Dont worry it is halal….dey dont serve pork there….According to Malaysian law, if a restaurant has a bar..it cant stick a halal poster….dats why you dont see one on any Tony Romas, Malaysia.

All muslims are welcomed to dine in Tony Romas….during lunch hour they have good offers lots more……..

Dey even have Full rack ribs(10pcs) for any1 cmg with a big fam….n u can even change each sauce for each rib…(Original norm sweet sauce, Carolina Honeys-sweet honey, Blue Ridge Smokies-sweet and smokey and TR’s Red Hots- real hot

1. Anis

Does not serve pork does not mean it’s Halal. If the food contains alcohol it is Not Halal. There are many more criteria to classify food as Halal.

1. akoo

1. Anonymous

unless they have halal certification from JAKIM, then it would be consider halal.

2. That means NO, mate. Doesn’t matter if the food is halal, if they serve alcohol then the whole restaurant is considered non-halal.
          ghostmirage´s last blog post ..Get Set, GO!

20. jeffrey

i tried their signature baby back rib last week during my visit to singapore, it tastes great but not very very great. vkeong, you should try the baby back rib, but don’t set too high expectation.lol

21. im live in pakistan your restorant is super

22. zizi

if there is wine in the food of course it is not halal n further more is the beef ,chicken slaughter the islam way.i guess ist not halal then pls advice

23. khalif

seems tony romas is similar TG Friday and Chillies as they also served beer.If these restaurant clearly serving beer, so its not impossible the meat is cooked with alcohol material.So, IT IS NOT HALAL…In islam, non halal is consider as pork, swine or non slaughtered (korshier meat) and alcoholic in the cooking.Moslem, please be aware..

24. zainap bevi abdul gaffoor

ada makanan di sini mendapat sijil halal

1. Sharil

Can you provide the link showing this please? I know that http://www.halal.gov.my provides search by different categories – food premises/products/etc.. but am not sure where to start..as sometimes a restaurant is listed under the parent holding company or the maybe it is listed under the products. As mentioned by others, the meat may be sourced from halal suppliers, but cooked with non halal ingredients doesn’t make it halal either. Which is why a halal cert would be good to dispel all the wrong perceptions. That said, a restaurant can use all halal ingredients, and get halal certification for individual products, but it won’t receive a halal cert for the OVERALL restaurant if it serves alcohol.

25. lili

halal from jakim or not ?