Banana Leaf Char Koay Teow @ Nam Heong Coffee Shop, Ipoh

I have been to Nam Heong coffee shop a couple of times but never had the luck to try their Char Koay Teow, said to be quite good and recommended by many. In my past visits, either I was too late or the stall just didn’t open. I don’t know why, but I tend to reach [tag]Nam Heong[/tag] around 4 to 5pm everytime, which is also the time the stall would close for business.
Just a few weeks ago, I was at [tag]Ipoh[/tag] for a one day trip and went to Nam Heong again. This time, I was lucky and the stall was still open. Do you know how close I was? I was their last customer for the day!

banana-leaf-char-koay-teow

Since I was the last customer for them, they double checked with us whether one plate was enough, lol. Costing RM3.50 a plate, the [tag]Char Koay Teow[/tag] did live up to its reputation, albeit a rather small portion. Prawns were big and juicy, cockles were fresh and it had good wok hei. Basically nothing to complain about the Char Koay Teow.

char-koay-teow

From the stall’s signboard, I learnt that the chef’s name is Lam Fung and his Char Koay Teow is of Penang’s style with banana leaf. But, there is something wrong with the Char Koay Teow, which had nothing “Penang” about it. Do you see it? It’s pretty obvious.. So if you know the answer, do let me know via the comments ok?

iced-white-coffee

White coffee was nice as usual, sure beat those served at the franchised Old Town Kopitiam.

nam-heong-fried-koay-teow

If you are interested to try the banana leaf Char Koay Teow here, be sure to arrive before 4.30pm to avoid disappointment! If you are in for the white coffee, it doesn’t matter as long as it’s before 6pm. But, there could be a chance you won’t get to enjoy hot white coffee after 5 because it might sold out. That’s why you see I was having an iced white coffee, not the hot one lol!

banana-leaf-char-koay-teow

char-koay-teow

iced-white-coffee

nam-heong-fried-koay-teow

21 Comments on “Banana Leaf Char Koay Teow @ Nam Heong Coffee Shop, Ipoh

1. Oh my my my, can I pay you to vacuum pack the Koay Teow (quantiy: 20 packets) and send it over ??? AH!!! I am now in histeria looking over the so-near-yet-so-far koay teow!!
    Ok, enough getting all crazy and carried over , hehe..nice job in capturing the ‘moment’ of this koay teow that I haven’t tasted for ages..keep it up!

P.S. Consider sending me the koay teow leh?? Hehhe

2. CLF

the chilli sauce added makes it not penang-style?
    coz seldom see CKT served with chilli sauce like that…

CLF’s last blog post..Japanese Language….

vk: Correct :) It’s the chili sauce

3. Looks delicious! Haven’t had this in awhile…I’ve not had CKT with chili like that though, it’s always mixed in. umm..the colour? I always thought penang CKT is somewhat lighter in colour. Crabmeat?! My guesses..hehe..

vk: Hehe, it’s the chili sauce added at the side. Penang CKT’s chili is fried together with the noodles.. not served separately :)

4. Agree with CLF, I guess it’s the additional chili sauce served at the side?

allie’s last blog post..Penang Food | JJ Cafe (Jerejak Jetty Cafe)

vk: Yeah, but I dunno if it’s additional or what.. it just doesn’t look right haha

5. I’m going with the chili sauce!

farah y’s last blog post..Random Quads #2

vk: Bingo!

6. aren

wah.. that look delicious to me as im Char Koay Teow’s fans.. haha..

vk: good for you lor.. I think I could have made it look EVEN much nicer, but I failed

7. Ipoh YAY!
    I tak pernah eat their Char Kuey Teow!

8. Had just published the new blog title, but the picture is still in the process..thank you for the ‘link exchange’, not sure what it means, hope for your enlightenment..Thanks!

9. Oh Char Kuey Teow! I didn’t know that Nam Heong serves CKT, even though I go to Ipoh very often. Next time you go to Ipoh must stop by Kong Heng and eat popiah there. It’s the best!

10. Now you mention it, I haven’t had CKT for quite some time.

jason’s last blog post..Christmas Comes Late in Melaka, Part 2

11. The chilli sauce lah, so obvious! :p

cariso’s last blog post..Singeylang Claypot Frog Porridge

12. its call lam fong (moonlight resonance?)’s ckt hehe..the uncle was my ex neighbour in ipoh. did u try the egg tart in nam heong? it was reli good

kampungboycitygal’s last blog post..Kepong Food Crawl Part II – Gou Lou Chao Fern & Tim Pan Gor Gor

13. looks so delicious!!! OMG, the prawns…the prawns!!!!

albot’s last blog post..Food : Distinctively Sibu (2)

14. The chili sauce… in fact, that’s Ipoh’s style. Ipoh way of frying their CKT is to put extra chili sauce next to it.

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..Ang Hoay Loh 紅火爐

15. ayong

hye there
    your blog is really interesting
    i keen to know how to increase traffic and learn how to set up a good blog
    i like to do part time job as a blogger as i am going to have a long holiday after this. anyone in hear can teach me?
    i can’t hardly understand how does to increase blog traffic

16. Just to say I enjoyed reading your posts today. The photography is excellent. keep up the good work!

flowercarole’s last blog post..Apple Smoothie Recipes

17. Pingback: Toasted Bread @ Sun Yuan Foong Coffee Shop, Ipoh Old Town | Malaysia Food Blog, Malaysia Travel Blog

18. Chew

Personally I don’t feel it is really good.
    You could get better char Koey teow in Ipoh Garden South.
    The Nam Heong char Koey teow is too commecialize…. :)

19. Anonymous

hi vk,

i suggest you to try out this char koay teow nicknamed “fei lou” located at the medan selera mega mendung, old klang road.

i would say it tops in kl! some even say in m’sia.

1. Hmm I never noticed any food court called “Mega Mendung” before.. thanks I will try to look it up

20. Can I get the address?? ^^