Gai Wo Bao @ Clan Dim Sum Restaurant, Sri Petaling

Hi guys do you notice something new on my blog’s sidebar? There’s a list of food I have yet to blog about, which has been accumulating since last year lol. A rough estimate would be 50 posts, and that number excludes my travel related posts to Melaka, Cameron Highlands and Sabah omg.
Based on my current update frequency, the backlog of posts would take at least 5 months to clear lol. Anyway, I was at Clan Restaurant, Sri Petaling many months ago to try their famous Gai Wo Bao, which translates to ‘Chicken Nest Bun’.

sri-petaling-gai-wo-bao

I have tried Gai Wo Bao in the other dim sum restaurants nearby and found it to be so-so only. And since it is said that Clan Restaurant is the originator of this bun’s recipe, I had pretty high expectations. In fact, the main reason I went to Clan Restaurant was to try the Gai Wo Bao only.

gai-wo-bao

But woah, as delicious as the Gai Wo Bao looked it left me greatly disappointed. The starchy pork and onion filling was pretty much tasteless and the bun had a really bad texture. Sorry to say this but I really don’t understand what’s so special about stuffing Loh Mai Gai into a bun.
Either the quality has dropped drastically over the years, or the Gai Wo Bao here is just simply overrated. And I feel Pan Ki just 5 minutes away serves a better (although not great as well) Gai Wo Bao if you ask me.

har-gao-dim-sum

I already forgot how the dim sum was but generally it was ok, nothing to be shout about. Pricing seemed to be on par with the other dim sum restaurants nearby.

prawn-dim-sum

clam-dim-sum

clan-dim-sum-restaurant

Although the Gai Wo Bao and dim sum didn’t impress me at all, Clan Restaurant still enjoys good, brisk business daily. I do hope they have something else to bank on as their signature dish, because the Gai Wo Bao was really ng dim for me lah.

sri-petaling-gai-wo-bao

gai-wo-bao

har-gao-dim-sum

prawn-dim-sum

clam-dim-sum

clan-dim-sum-restaurant

24 Comments on “Gai Wo Bao @ Clan Dim Sum Restaurant, Sri Petaling

1. I 1st had my gai wo pao at Hong Kee :) Tried another too from Sri Petaling but not sure the restaurant name *bro’s GF tapao for us :P *

mimid3vils’s last blog post..Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

2. LOL! Liking yr OMG pending post list… lets us know what’s in store!! Hmm… the gai wo bao not looking the least bit attractive to me. And why is it pork inside a chicken nest?!

550ml jar of faith’s last blog post..The Soup of Champions, Farlim, Air Itam

3. wow…this certainly looks nice and special to me….i shud try it one day

vialentino’s last blog post..Vialentino wishes all my colleagues thanks for the good time in Maxis, really appreaciate the sweet memory I have with you all

4. I had the gai wo bao before in one of the sri petaling dim sum shop. Something different but like you said, it’s over-rated.

vk: Yeah I think the dim sum is OK, but gai wo bao.. definitely no-no for me from now onwards. A few tries is more than enough for me

5. haha i dun bother about my backlogs anymore..let it be :p

vk: haha I hope I can don’t bother but some meals were quite expensive that I had to post them.. if not wasted :P

6. :) …. I have a lot of backlog too. Join the club la!

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..BigBoysOven Cake Deco Class

7. I just got susan drooling over your blog!!! Now I know she is getting homesick for penang and laska.

Enjoyed all the pictures, good job!!!!

8. I’ve been staying in Seri Petaling all my life(so far that is haha!) and I dont really fancy those dim sum restaurants on that street cause it’s over-rated like what u said but I do not know why alot of my friends + people came all the way here just to try the dim sum and gai wo bao cause it’s only so-so. But i do like the dim sum at overseas restaurant, the siu mais and ha gaos and others as well are better in my opinion. =)

Melissa’s last blog post..My Easter Study Break

vk: hey thanks for the tip, will check out overseas in my next trip to Sri Petaling. I think that’s one of the two dim sum restaurants I have yet to check out

9. I like Gai Wo Bao so much~~

Agnes’s last blog post..Eternal Zone BBQ Steamboat buffet @ Sungai Petani

vk: good for you :)

10. Since you mentioned it. I think i should give it a try. I have never try it before even though i travel to sri petaling to visit my friend quite often. My friend didn’t even mention it to me.

Angel’s last blog post..Nightlife in Sri Hartamas

11. konghulang

Totally agree with you this time, stuffing Loh Mai Gai into a bun is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard of .
    BTW, any recommendation on where to find good Loh Mai Gai ? You know lah most of the time what we have is only Loh Mai “Pork” witha a small piece chicken breast meat……

vk: I am not a big fan of Loh Mai Gai actually.. never really had any good ones too in these few years. The best ones I have had were those when I was little.. a seller at night making the rounds in the neighborhood, carrying the dim sum on the back of his motor

12. Oh, this is the first time i see stuffed loh mai kai in a bun! too bad u said the taste is so so oni..

13. My goodness still got so many folders! Seri Petaling is a happy hunting ground for me.

Chin’s last blog post..Hawkers Fare: Rojak and Cendol Penang with Roast Duck – SS25

14. It was a rather interesting pao for me although I also found it so so only.

jason’s last blog post..Chunky Meat @ Chow Kiat, Klang

15. Tham

The pao was ok to me but it was kind of oily. Anyway, it was something new and interesting I never had before. Everyone should try it…..the price is reasonable but not the venue. The table was set on top of bare earth and some crusher run with uneven ground. Watch your steps around…!

16. has already try this….
    this is a recomended..
    so tasty…
    nom nom nom

17. Omnimon

not tat good
    i agree with Melissa
    i been staying in seri pertaling for 4 years ,
    i not really like the dim sum around there,
    and make sure to ask for the price nicely
    some of the staff there will trying to give overprice so they can get some tips illegaly.

18. hi,

how to reach to this place if i come from Petaling Street. is it the lrt can reach there? if not how much will cost go there by taxi? sorry i from Sabah.
    thanks

1. you can take the Star LRT to Sri Petaling stop. Then take a taxi from the LRT station, it should cost about RM5-6 at most

19. Karen Tne

The gai wo pao is nice . I saw your blog , need to ask u , where is the Sang Har Mee @ imbi ?
    Please reply to my email. Thank you.

20. What other restaurants selling gai wo bao? I tried once in this restaurant and i think it’s nice. But can easily get fulled if too greedy to finish the whole bao alone. =)
    LunchKaki´s last blog post ..Seafood and Curry Noodles @ Kedai Makanan Ah Loy- Taman Overseas Union

21. Anonymous

address gai wo bao @ clan where??????

1. the gai wo bao sucks, don’t bother.

22. jojo

didn’t try d gai wo bao, but d kam sa bao there tastes not bad though :> althought d size is kinda small n cost RM2 for jz 1 small bao (which can finish in 2 or 3 bites), yet nice aromatic n runny kam sa… mmm mmmm….