Satay Celup @ Ban Lee Siang, Jalan Ong Kim Wee Melaka

Have you heard of Satay Celup before? It’s a dish where raw or semi-cooked food like seafood, meat and vegetables on skewers are dunked into a boiling pot of diluted satay sauce. Imagine having steamboat with the soup substituted with satay sauce.
I believe Satay Celup is a dish uniquely available only to Melaka and well favored by the Malaccans. Well, there are attempts to introduce this dish to the other states but from what I heard the venture was not successful because the people found it hard to accept.

satay-celup-sticks

The concept of Satay Celup could be attributed to being a combination of lok lok and buffet steamboat. With a tray provided by the restaurant, customers would proceed to the huge refrigerators housing the large selection of food on skewers, pick their choices and start dipping away.
I first got to know Satay Celup when I pursued my studies in MMU Melaka. And it’s a shame that I have never tried, or worse still, never even seen it in my entire year spent in Melaka lol. It’s a pity I was not adventurous enough in my younger days, hence missing out on many stuff.

satay-celup-stick

So in my last trip to Melaka I made it a point that I simply had to try Satay Celup, no matter what. Even dunking 1 skewer would suffice. Among the many Satay Celup restaurants Ban Lee Siang was our choice because of the good reviews I read about it, and Jalan Ong Kim Wee where it is situated was reasonably near to our hotel too.

vegetable-satay-celup

As you can see the satay sauce used for Satay Celup is pretty diluted and you need to stir it constantly to prevent the bottom part being burnt. And presenting our very first Satay Celup stick, balls of vegetables lol.
By the way, the satay sauce is not the sweet type we usually eat – it was a whole lot spicier and very hot from the boiling. So it’s pretty much a lip numbing experience.

dipping-satay-celup

I think you have heard rumors about that the satay sauce being RECYCLED. This means the pot of sauce you are dunking your yummy skewers into, was also used by tens to hundreds of customers who dined at the same table before you.
Well, I can confirm the rumor is real because I have asked the workers personally about it lol. They simply top up the satay sauce with fresh (or maybe reused?) sauce when it runs low.
So…. if you are a hygiene freak, this place is not for you lol. There are a couple of newer Satay Celup restaurants that let the customers use personal pots and fresh sauce only. You just gotta look for it.

cockles-satay-celup

L to R: Dunno-and-forgot-what’s-that, pork, prawn, si ham (cockles) and mushroom skewers. Most of the meat and vegetable sticks cost RM0.50 while the seafood ones (marked with color) were RM0.60.

stupid-couple

While eating there I witnessed one of the most stupid things ever. This couple was taking their food from the refrigerator and the guy accidentally dropped his the sausage skewer on the dirty floor.
To my horror, instead of throwing it away or at least have the courtesy to pay for the mistake, he PUT IT BACK TO THE FRIDGE OMG. Sigh, what is wrong with these people. You say lah, stupid or not?

dirty-satay-celup

If you have sharp eyes you would see that there’s a stick at the side of the photo, which I have circled up. That’s the skewer the idiotic guy dropped and put back in. I told the workers about it and hopefully they did the only right and sensible thing, none other than discarding the dirty food.

ban-lee-siang-satay-celup

Many people are saying that Capitol Satay Celup is the best in Melaka, like it being the original and oldest outlet. But since I tried it just to fulfill my curiosity, it didn’t really matter. Will I return? Maybe not after all.

Ban Lee Siang Satay Celup

ban-lee-siang-satay-celup

Ban Lee Siang Satay Celup
45 E, Jalan Ong Kim Wee,
75300 Melaka.

30 Comments on “Satay Celup @ Ban Lee Siang, Jalan Ong Kim Wee Melaka

1. Chris

Hmmm Yummy ~ Balls of vege ?? Lulz …

2. haha.. seems like not a very good experience for your first time huh :P

allie’s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | “Raw” Noodle?? aka Che Mee

3. not my thing!!!! yucks …. i tried them only once, way back then when my frens were in MMU (hehe, ironic eh?).

the satay sauce was overwhelming, cant taste the balls, meat, etc.

J2Kfm’s last blog post..Yee Fatt Dry Curry Noodles @ Jln Kampar, Ipoh

4. i heard it can be really gross where they keep the bottom part of the sauce and re-use.. eek!

5. didn’t get the opportunity to try the last time i was there

6. I won’t try it due to hygiene problem that u mentioned :P

mimid3vils’s last blog post..Wendy’s

7. I also went there to try just for curiosity. Won’t go the 2nd time…

8. Ok…the thing about them recycling the sauce is ULTIMATE EWWWNESS!

I tried it a few times while I was studying in MMU Malacca as well. Nothing special really and it IS a lip and tongue numbing experience. Usually, you can’t really taste anything coz the sauce is so damn hot…

Mark’s last blog post..A Big Bang into May!

9. My friend recommended me to give it a try when i was in Melacca. Generally i don’t really like it. The satay source was not spicy for me. Hmm.. We had our dinner there, a very heavy meals.

10. My hygiene-freaked friends wont even step in!

And duh, what’s with the people nowadays….

jason’s last blog post..Chunky Meat @ Chow Kiat, Klang

11. me is Malaccan and I just love Satay Celup. Da balls of vege is kangkung n dat is my fav. Try dipping bread into the peanut sauce oso nice! but i dun worry bout hygiene as i only eat satay celup made at home! :D

Merryn’s last blog post..Proud to be a Baba Nyonya

12. Ah,…I must try satay celup in my next visit to Malacca. Missed it the last time I was there!

shen’s last blog post..Taiwan Trip Photos V – Temple around Sun Moon Lake

13. beatlesalbum

Yeah dat doofus who dropped the food should be flogged. stupid cheapo retard ah beng who cant afford to pay 60 cent celup hot dog stick. he can go fly kite kanineh mcb

14. Hello…calling all hygiene freaks. No one in the right mind will slobber their saliva all over their satay and then put it into the pot.
    What is taken out stays out and a new stick is dipped in.
    Plus, the tempreture of the sauce will kill all germs and bacteria lar whey. Sheesh!
    I have been eating this since I was 3 and I’m still alive and well here!

Would you do the same to your dentists? Go check their utensils if they’re genuinely steralised? Also, change your tooth brush every day lar!

The more hygiene you are, the more prone you fall ill compared to those like me.

15. Vincent

I had this once, was introduced by a friend, not my thing, had a stomach ache after the meal, never again.

16. mabel

wow…i like it so much!!!
    but frankly speak, i prefer to visit those stall which seldom ppl visit due to hygiene problem.

17. Must go early around 6pm during weekend, else you need to wait a long q. Nice… must try!!

18. steffie tan

hey, can anyone tell me what time the shop will be open?

1. hi steffie, from what I have checked, it’s from 5.30pm to 12.30am

19. steffie tan

hey, vkeong! thanks so much for ur info. it really help a lot.

20. Manny

Do they have non spicy sauce to cater to kids in the group? Thanks.

1. If I am not mistaken, the satay sauce is the only sauce. It’s quite spicy

21. This shop is one of the best in Malacca. Fully recommended.

1. I am tempted to try Capitol next.

22. Baba

Has anyone visited the Satay Celup Nyonya along Taman Melaka Raya, along Dataran Pahlawan towards (before/near) Plaza Melaka Raya. It’s “SUPERLICIOUS” with its unique Nyonya-style mouth-watering satay sauce with over 80 fresh ingredients for you to wet your appettite. Their tagline speaks for itself, “Good Feelings, Great Taste, Best Value”. http://www.sataycelupnyonya.com Cheers

23. Angie

I love satay celup and I have my fix at least once a week … I have tried all the shops, Capitol, McQuek and Ban Lee Siang and I used to think Capitol was great until I chanced upon a new shop called Satay Celup Nyonya at Taman Melaka Raya, towards Dataran Pahlawan. Their sauce is a little tangy and sweet and it taste just great. Looking back, I think all the other shops’ sauce taste bland in comparison to this nyonya style. Go try and judge it for yourself … Bon Appetit!! … and check out their website http://www.sataycelupnyonya.com (I had a hard time to suss their website out)

24. QQ

Satay Celup, i like very much! too bad never got chance to eat at Capitol. Always so long queue. Went Ban Lee Hiang instead but noticed they kept the same pot of sauce on the table after customer left for the next customers. Eww!
    Last weekend found one new satay celup shop somewhere near Melaka Raya shopping complex. Nyonya style. Sauce is slightly different from Ban Lee Hiang and McQuek but quite nice.
    New shop, very clean and only cost RM0.50 per stick :o ) compared to Capitol RM0.80.
    Next try … besides the Famous chicken rice ball shop, can anyone recommend other nice chicken rice ball shop pls?

25. Alvis Wong

Ah-ha!!Here i am to filled the comments on capitol satay Celup. I just back from Malacca last few days. :)

Basically capitol is more expensive since RM0.80 per stick, but I saw the pot n sauces are renewed for every new customer. About the foods, my friends said it is no different with the BAN LEE HIANG. So, you can considered that pay more for safety and hygiene XD.

OMG, the Satay Celup Nyonya looks like sooooo tasty and the best competitor appeared. It may sounds not good to those shops but a great news for us as customers!

Btw, is it beside the “Nateje Cafe” in Dataran Pahlawan?? The crepe cake in Nateje is very nice and I like it more than Secret Recipe!!! Give a try, Vkeong!!! And help me to try the satay celup Nyonya also!!My all friends complain about nothing so special with the MAlacca foods that is famous actually haha. Especially the Chung Hwa Chicken rice, even I knew Hoe Kee Chicken is much better but I can’t expected the Chung Hwa chicken is just…..disappointing. And the rice balls are very cool, feel like placed over a long time, aikss…..

26. great lok lok, melaka must eat! much more better if under heavy rain, hot and cold.
    Enqvist´s last blog post ..Spicy Soup Ramen at Nippon YataiMura Burma Road

27. I just went to this place yesterday. It was as good as Kingtu in my opinion (haven’t tried the rest though). I went at five something, and there were already a few tables occupied. Going early is good to avoid the crowd and to be the first to use the sauce! On the hygiene issue, I believe most people won’t eat the satay halfway and redunk it unless they find it not thoroughly cooked. By the way, I noticed the two shops have staff wearing different uniforms and even the corridor where tables were put was separated by a railing. I wonder what the story is…
    TARfm.com´s last blog post ..10 Unpleasant Things I’ve Observed About Outside Food