Sang Har Meen @ Soo Kee Mee Stall, Medan Imbi

Taking opportunity of the Hari Raya Haji holiday, went back to KL the last weekend to visit some friends as well as visiting some restaurants I didn’t get to cover previously. Since I was staying at a guest house around Bukit Bintang area, Soo Kee’s Sang Har Meen @ Imbi was the first one to come into mind for dinner.

soo-kee-sang-har-meen

I think I have some kind of bad luck whenever it comes to popular restaurants. Why do I always get scolding from the owners lol. First it was Kin Kin, now it’s Soo Kee.
If you have been to Soo Kee you must know that the restaurant is jam packed during dinner session. So there I was alone unable to find a table. Then when I finally got a table for four and sat there, the lady boss got all worked up, started to make a scene and said I was not supposed to sit there. I was asked to sit somewhere else instead, which was ALSO a table for four. Makes no difference right? So was the cursing and all really necessary?
I guess when your business is so big and good and be featured on TV so frequently, you can be all lan si and even screw the customers. Less 1 returning customer is nothing to them anyway.

sang-har-meen

But I gotta give it to them, the Sang Har Meen was really good. It was full of flavor with some fragrant ginger taste, which you can’t seem to stop eating. Sang Har is the river prawn with a huge head and with little body flesh.
So the prawn head is the part that provides most of the prawn flavor, and the whole head (including its eyes) is actually edible too – depending on whether you are game for it. It’s flesh is quite little for a prawn of its size, but it was so succulent and robust you could pick them out nicely in a whole from the shell just by using chopsticks.

river-prawn-noodle

A single portion of Sang Har Meen with medium sized prawns cost RM25. Pricey of course but quite worth it because Sang Har does not come cheap. I actually requested to have an add-on of Sang Har, which would make my Sang Har Meen to have 2 prawns instead of one but they totally overlooked or didn’t bother about it.
Ah well, that’s service for you. Honestly I won’t be returning to Soo Kee again because of their arrogance. I don’t think they would need my business anyway. Besides, I have discovered there are many other Sang Har Meen alternatives that are not so crowded like Greenview at PJ or Keong Kee just a few doors away.

Soo Kee Mee Stall (Closed on Mondays)
14, Medan Imbi
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 – 2148 1324
GPS Coordinates: N03 08.641 E101 42.870 (malfreemaps)

soo-kee-sang-har-meen

sang-har-meen

river-prawn-noodle

Soo Kee Mee Stall (Closed on Mondays)
14, Medan Imbi
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 – 2148 1324
GPS Coordinates: N03 08.641 E101 42.870 (malfreemaps)

29 Comments on “Sang Har Meen @ Soo Kee Mee Stall, Medan Imbi

1. The portion looks quite big. I’m sure that if you want a huge fresh prawns, it will be very expensive.

Let us all thank all our wonderful fishermans out there who had struggle to bring these huge prawns to our lunch tables.

At least you had a good meal compared to <a href="http://www.vkeong.com/2009/food-drink/kin-kin-chili-pan-mee-worst-attitude-ever/&quot; Kin Kin. Haha!

2. That is too bad when their Ego & arrogance take over

3. The Sang Har Mee is quite nice, but I feel that their standard has dropped. They also make good beef noodles. =)

4. JD

I think that’s actually one of the problem with all this famous places, arrogance actually overtook their service. I definitely won’t frequent if I read or hear anything that is not customer service friendly. No matter if they are on tv before or not.

5. Lol

ever tried Sang Har with fish head noodle’s soup base(without the fish head)? If that SooKee’s Sang HAr was heaven, the SangHar at Restoran Soon Soon Lye at puchong nxt to Axian would be Kingdom of God =)

6. u got the beef horfun, but since u wont b going back..no point telling you that rite? theres a few “soo kees” around, tat dude produced alot of kids who later on learnt how to cook a mean sang har mee..

7. Danny Lim

Absolutely agree… good food but arrogance. Once I went there to ta pau beef hor fun , and for no reason the lady boss shouted at me…well I keep my cool and instead ordered 3 big portions of beef horfun and 2 big sang har mee…I told them I come back 10 min to collect. …I never come back.

1. lololol, you trolled them back haha I like this

2. Anonymous

You should do that more often becoz make them waste their food becos of their arrogrances

Kudos and bravo to you.
      I support you fully

8. Omg, that shop was opened by my cousin’s husband DAD. They split up to two, one brother handle each.
    Quality bad ?

9. And the Lady boss, fat in 40s ? Probably is my COUSIN ! omg……….

1. Danny Lim

There is one kwai lo always at the shop doing nothing …I understand he is the husband to one of the lady bosses. Don,t tell me yr cousin is the kwai lo !

1. That kwai lou, I think he’s also the cashier.. walked around and had beer with customers as well..

10. Stopped going to Soo Kee couple years back after fiasco with our noodles – prawns were so-so whilst the gravy was loaded with salt!
    Now, we normally pop over to Soo Kee Son (not sure if this is the right spelling) which is opposite Soo Kee.
    The people at Soo Kee Son are much more friendly and the noodles are of a certain standard…Got to qualify though, we are normally there after the peak dinner hours.

11. It has been long time I have not gone back to Soo Kee. Lan See and expensive…

1. Haha, if I knew they had attitude problems I would have went to other places

12. Loo

rm25 for that plate? lol, i think i ll pass.

13. there’s also one famous place that sells good sang har meen in selayang/batu caves.

14. tan

The kwai lou is it Shaolin Tiger? LOL

1. Haha I am sure it’s not Shaolin Tiger. Why would you say so?

15. tan

Coz he is the only kwai lou i know that works in malaysia LOL

16. mikew

I think their sang har meen is overrated , when u r famous , ur quality slips..same goes to the meng kee char siew at jln alor..nothing to shout about despite all the raving review..cheers

1. I haven’t tried the other Sang Har Meen yet so I am not fit to pass judgment on the quality.. but for first timer I was quite impressed, just that my experience was marred by the obnoxious lady boss.

17. kellie

haha … guess tats wat happened whene u become popular –> arrogance .. sigh .. neway would love 2 try it when im at KL next time .. would be bringing friends from indo n korea with me… hunting for good places 2 eat in KL now … ur website helps :) )

18. KK

Y wana spent $ to get those kind of service & attitude from the “AUNTIE” boss?
    Eat there not only wana “receive gas”(cantonese) & is expansive too & need to wait long time for the foods.
    My self for sure will not go there anymore even nothing to eat oso will jus go 7-11 buy bread to eat rather then eat at SOO KEE-Medan Imbi!!!!
    BAD RATED from me!!!

19. haley

i got the same RUDE treatment not just from the auntie but also the boss… first the WOMAN was RUDE and shooed us away from the table we sat at. Then i ordered hor fun for myself and something else (forgot) for my hubby. they brought 3 dishes to us… and i said i didnt order TWO horfun and the ARROGANT man got angry… some more got our drinks wrong! and RIDICULOUSLY expensive! the horfun tasted worse than my neighborhood stall. will NEVER go there again.

20. OMG! Grossly over price with bad attitude towards customer.Not for me better try the opposite for San har mee.A place that live to regret….