My Europe Trip 2010 – Paris, France

« »

After London, our next destination was Paris, France. Naturally there are two ways of getting to Paris from London, either by ferry (cheaper, but longer time needed and confusing) or via Eurostar.
If you didn’t know, Eurostar is a high speed passenger rail service with its trains crossing the English Channel connecting London with Paris and Brussels. It is pretty obvious Eurostar is expensive but it would cut down the traveling time into just a little more than two hours.

eurostar

Luckily we booked our Eurostar tickets earlier so we still got it at a relatively affordable price at £39. Here, we were boarding the train at St Pancras station. Anyway, if you are planning to travel to Europe including England on your own, do be prepared to fork out extra for Eurostar tickets – even if you have a Eurail pass!
And here are some useful tips: when you are leaving for home, try not to fly out from London because you would have to pay extra to cross the channel again. I myself did a mistake here by choosing to fly back to Malaysia from London. I could’ve saved myself a few hundred ringgit if I had planned to go back because my last destination was Amsterdam. More tips at the end of this post, so keep reading lol.

paris-basilica

After reaching our crappy hostel we walked to our first attraction – The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Paris or Basilique du Sacré-Cœur in French. It is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and also prominently located at Montmartre hill, the highest point in the city.

paris-view

I still couldn’t believe we actually walked all the way up (130 metres high) without realizing there was actually a bus service.. But all the sweat was worth it as we were rewarded with a view of Paris’ skyline.

basilica

Locals and tourists alike taking the summer opportunity to sunbathe in the grass nearby.

shopping

Below the hill is actually a shopping and nightclub district, where you can find plenty of cheap things on sale. Most of the eateries here sell crepes with various toppings and jams, seems like Montmarte’s Crepes are really famous and also a must try here. Anwyay, it was the only cheap food we could afford, lol.

notre-dame-paris

Then we spent some time wandering around some places and eventually ended up at Notre Dame de Paris or also known as Notre Dame Cathedral. It is also a cathedral, which I believe would be more known to us through the novel and Disney Cartoon “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame”. Although I do not harbor too much love for Paris, I have to admit seeing Notre Dame was one of my best memories through out the entire Europe trip.

notre-dame-candles

Despite the many “NO PHOTOGRAPHY” signs, visitors were busy snapping away anyway – with flash too! Even the cathedral’s staff didn’t mind so… I took photos too lol.

notre-dame

It was the first cathedral I entered so I was really intrigued by the lightings, atmosphere and its sheer size.

church-windows

No where in Asia, let alone Malaysia could you find any cathedral as big and beautiful like this – an eye opening experience indeed.

inside-notre-dame

The altar in Notre Dame. Also, you would find the statue of Joan of Arc in the cathedral interior, it was here where she was beatified.

Pages: 1 2

1. Anonymous says:

the orange part on the scallop is the roe…it’s the best part of scallop !!

2. san says:

the orange part on the scallops are the roe..they taste really nice and probably the best part of scallops…yummy…

3. jeffrey says:

you must have spent lots of time and effort writing this update. your photos taken are really amazing.

4. thomanic says:

Vkeong, do you use your 5dmk2 to take all those pictures? The low light photos are really good without any flash used.

and if it really is 5dmk2, carrying it around would not be too heavy for travelling? lolx, just curious.

• vkeong says:

Hi thomanic, yes I used my 5dmk2 to take all these photos.. low light photos were taken at high ISO. I don’t really like using flash for taking landscape photos because I feel it would kill the mood.. I think you will agree too yeah

as for the camera weight, it is heavy and really put a strain on my neck and back while traveling. but I treated it as exercise haha.

5. Dave says:

Hi, how much did u guys pay for the night trains? As far as I know there’s an extra charge even using eurail pass. How much extra to fork out?

• vkeong says:

Hi Dave, I only took 1 night train before, which departed from Venice Santa Lucia to Vienna. It was a Euronight train with 4 couchette in a cabin. It cost 37Euro

6. M@Y says:

Terrific photos! Would love to take it like yours even though i’m a frequent user of Canon digital cameras because of its light-weight and convenience.

7. J2Kfm says:

Great posts, vkeong.
    This might come in handy some day down the line.
    Personally, I don’t take the orange sac clinging to the scallops either, unless I know that the scallop is really really fresh.
    I have always thought that that orange sac contains the roes. Maybe I was wrong.
    .-= J2Kfm´s last blog ..“Tong Sui” in Ipoh – Where to Find the Best =-.

8. Danny Lim says:

Oh yes, the Paris Metro is quite rundown and I ve seen fights on platform.
    Many years ago during holidays, I stayed at a hotel in Gentily and need to use the Metro to travel downtown. Communication is huge obstacle in buying ticket,then I noticed many youth just jump over the entrance barrier, even men with tie and suit were jumping in n out w/out ticket. I followed suit, for the next few days I travel the whole of Paris happily jumping over the barrier…no need ticket.
    Then 1 night I arrived back at home station around midnight, to my horror all the barrier were closed and passengers can only exit through a 12ft wire gate which need ticket. All passengers cleared the platform except me. There were no one left in the whole station ,just me running up n down desperately looking for a exit (sortie), like fish in a net. Preparing to go to jail is the only thing left on my mind.
    After 20min or so, as I lean helplessly on the 12 ft gate, a group of black youth passed by on the otherside singing n rap dancing, I shouted for help and to my amazed, they passed me a ticket and I was be able to exit through the gate without haste.
    The lesson here is that do not always do what the Roman do, unless u r Roman.

9. noir7559 says:

wow nice one vkeong…i can only see this in picture..

10. jason says:

Very beautiful architectures.
    .-= jason´s last blog ..Funky Villa- e@Curve =-.

11. TOLANIC says:

The photos you took are very nice like a professional photographer. I wish I can go to Paris.

12. A says:

Bonjour,

There is a new Malaysian restaurant in Paris, called: “LEGENDA DE MALAISIE”.
    Address: 46, rue de Trévise – 75009 PARIS – FRANCE
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 47 70 87 07

Business Hours:
    Breakfast: Monday – Sunday 6:30 – 10:00.
    Lunch & Dinner: Monday – Saturday 12:00 Noon – 15:00 & 18:00 – 23:00. Sunday Closed.

You ca visit:
    or

Bon appétit !

13. ken says:

Nice post and photos. Actually to avoid crowd for zigzag the Eiffel Tower, you can book ticket via online. The view of the second level is awesome. Meanwhile, you can go for the La Seine Cruise whereby you can see most of the famous building along the river. Don’t forget to stroll along the La Seine, it will give you a romantic & sweet memory.
    ken´s last blog post ..Top Five Reasons why to visit Italy

1. July 10, 2010

[...] Food Mosaic « D Kuang Seafood Restaurant @ Kampung Baru, Bukit Mertajam My Europe Trip 2010 – Paris, France [...]