My Europe Trip 2010 – Switzerland

« »

If I were given a chance to do the Europe trip all over again but I could only visit one country, I will choose Switzerland without a shout of a doubt. For most of the time in Switzerland I actually felt like I was actually having a holiday. Instead of rushing from one place to another to visit the attractions, we were walking leisurely to enjoy the breathtaking sceneries.

switzerland

Thanks to the diverse landscape in Switzerland, every photo is postcard beautiful.

zurich

By the time we reached Zurich it was already at night. Due to summer season there wasn’t any room available and even if there was one, it would be too expensive. After checking with every single hostel but to no avail, we decided to give up and catch a train to Interlaken instead. Although tiring, at least we got to see Zurich, which is a modern city with an active nightlife.

panini-stall

Panini (sandwich) stalls were aplenty at the train station.

bacon-pretzel

Ever had a bacon pretzel? They are pretty common in Europe and come with many different type of fillings.

balmers-herberge

Using the hotel reservation kiosk at Interlaken West’s train station, we finally secured two beds at Balmer’s Herberge, which happens to be the first and oldest private hostel in Switzerland. Talk about coincidence. After spending the night in one of the 32-beds dorm (like a chicken coop) at Balmer’s Herberge we quickly left for Lauterbrunnen.

river

Do note that even with a Eurail Global Pass you still have to pay for the train to Lauterbrunnen @ 7CHF, a municipality that comprises some villages like Wengen, Murren, Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen itself.
Although the journey was quite short it was not short of beautiful sceneries, like this river flowing through under the tracks. If you are wondering, the river is turqoise-grey because it is fed by water from the melting glacier.

train-to-murren

And the view of the Swiss Alps, it never seize to amaze no matter how many times you look at it.

lauterbrunnen

The Staubbach Falls has got to be the first sight to greet any visitor to Lauterbrunnen, the 300 meters high waterfall in the background. When viewed from afar, the water seems to be spraying from the hanging valley instead of dropping. It is the most impressive waterfall I have ever seen in real life.

murren

There are many things to do at Lauterbrunnen and the most popular and costly one would be visiting Jungfraujoch, widely known as the “Top of Europe” at more than 10,000 ft high. Or you could choose to visit the nearby villages either by hiking or taking a cable car.
If you are planning to visit Jungfraujoch, be informed of the local weather during your stay because it is the main factor in deciding your Jungfraujoch experience. Always pick a sunny day and start in the morning.

valley-hostel

Our choice of accommodation at Lauterbrunnen for the next two days was Valley Hostel, a clean and homey hostel equipped with a self-service laundry room and a fully functional kitchen. Each dorm has a great view of Jungfrau that can be enjoyed from the room’s balcony.

murren-station

So for the first day we decided to take a cable car to Murren then hike to Gimmelwald. The cable cars use here are similar to those in Genting but about 5 times larger.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

1. YeinJee says:

Great photos again! Didn’t expect to see snow around this time of the year even if it’s Alps.
    .-= YeinJee´s last blog ..1-1 real scale Gundam in Shizuoka =-.

2. Yen says:

I was in Switzerland this year march, and I paid 2 Swiss Franc = RM6 to use their toilets! :’(

3. lazhi says:

The alps mountains are beautiful, but its summer cannot play ski i suppose.

4. ai wei says:

great photos!!!
    am looking forwards on ur coming up posts as well as the ur trip to florence :)
    .-= ai wei´s last blog ..Tea Party with delicious bites ♥ =-.

5. NKOTB says:

I would have to say it’s awesome to look at these photos… it’s stunningly beautiful.
    Great shots and capture every angle so perfect.
    Thanks for sharing all these. :)
    .-= NKOTB´s last blog ..Beach Blanket Babylon =-.

6. ga mei says:

i’m going to switzerland to study soon! but my school is at leysin, near to montreux, the french speaking side of switzerland. you made me wanna go to the german side ( zurich and all ) for a trip after reading this post. stunning pictures ! =)

7. wyyv says:

vkeong, your pictures are so sharp and nice that i tot im already there =)
    .-= wyyv´s last blog ..Street food @ Puchong =-.

8. Thomas says:

Wow… Your pics really made my day. It’s so beautiful!!
    .-= Thomas´s last blog ..Into The Sea – Day 1 =-.

9. TOLANIC says:

This is the place I should visit before I die! By the way, wonderful photos you got there. Your blog is totally amazing like always!
    .-= TOLANIC´s last blog ..Hong Kong – Marine Land Ocean Park =-.

• vkeong says:

I think so, my friend who went to New Zealand and Switzerland said that although NZ has a more beautiful landscape, it is not as diverse as Switzerland

10. J2Kfm says:

I am thoroughly enjoying your pics. Very breath taking. Yeah, to be fully enjoying one’s vacation, I’d rather stick to fewer destinations but instead spending my time leisurely soaking in the environment.
    .-= J2Kfm´s last blog ..Pasta House @ Ipoh =-.

11. taufulou says:

aiks…seriously its not cheap to travel in europe~

but man..i guess every penny spend is worth with all the beautifull scenery~
    .-= taufulou´s last blog ..New Chef Heiji- Enju Japanese Restaurant @ Prince Hotel =-.

12. simps says:

omg! the scenery is awesome!
    .-= simps´s last blog ..work =-.

13. Cecil Lee says:

OMG, I’m so regret now for not including Switzerland into my Europe tour itinerary couple of months back! But what should I say, I had only 14 days to cover 7 cities and you had 28 days! Thanks for sharing your great photos.
    .-= Cecil Lee´s last blog ..August 2010 Travel Photo Wallpaper Calendar Download =-.

14. Incredible shots of the mountains! That picture of the waterfall just looks like a huge shower coming from the top of the cliff.
    .-= Migrationology´s last blog ..15 Ways To Have a Blast in Buenos Aires =-.

15. Adrian says:

can i have the the high resolution of the pictures above?

16. Adrian says:

especially the mountain snow

17. jason says:

Lurve pic #1 and #10!
    .-= jason´s last blog ..Fish &amp Noodle House- Damansara Kim =-.

18. Mike says:

Great stories on this beautiful country, definitely in my top 5 destinations to visit list.
    The photos , am speechless.

19. Sue says:

I am in love with Switzerland already…

20. Alissa says:

Great blog and amazing photos!
    Alissa´s last blog post ..FRENCH ONION SOUPFirst off- I suggest- when you decide to cook

21. Sudan says:

finally, i got the inspiration where to go….thanks Vkeong
    Sudan´s last blog post ..Loagan Bunut

22. Ann says:

Hi, We are planning a trip to Swiss soon. How many days do you think would be sufficient to spend from Geneva-Montreux-Zermatt-Interlaken-Lucern-Zurich? Any other tips?
    Thanks.

• vkeong says:

Honestly I cannot advise you on anything. But from your itinerary you would need like at least more than 1 week to have a proper vacation.
      Interlaken alone I think you could spend 3 days and 2 days for Zurich

23. Ann says:

Great. Will consider. :)
    Thanks again.

24. Rachel says:

Swiss really is fabulous country, just like paradise we went. You won’t forgot all the amazing sight view you saw.

25. shaki says:

Hi, your pictures are really beautiful. Considering going there this year. Would it be too cold in November?

• vkeong says:

hi shaki.. I read that November is one of the worst months to visit Switzerland.. perhaps you would like to research more on the visiting time :)

26. shuhada says:

i can say that i kept visiting your blog to see these lovely pictures, it gives sort of motivation to save money and go for travelling.
    shuhada´s last blog post ..Turkish Pide House Restaurant

27. Sue says:

Great photos on Switzerland! Can you email your Europe trip itinerary to me? Thanks!

28. Gan says:

Thanks for Sharing Vkeong, great pic and description!

1. July 25, 2010

[...] a two hour train ride to Milan from Spiez, we immediately got ourselves a 2-day pass for the public transport that cost €5.50. The Milan [...]