Hajime Japanese Restaurant @ Jalan Damai, Kuala Lumpur

For you Japanese food lovers out there, if you haven’t been to Hajime yet, you need to include this into your list of to try Japanese restaurants (I do keep one in case you’re wondering) Set in an actual bungalow turned restaurant, it is currently one of my favorites.

hajime-restaurant

Their pricing is slightly higher than the rest but I have no qualms forking for it. But don’t worry, Hajime is not that expensive to the extent of burning a hole in your pocket for a normal meal. And if there’s anything I learnt so far in enjoying Japanese food, quality and freshness always come first, quantity and pricing are secondary.

salmon-sashimi

When I dine at Japanese restaurants I usually use their sashimi’s quality to gauge their overall standard because I believe it is the best indication of things to come. Hajime’s selection of sashimi is quite extensive alright, should be able to satisfy any sashimi lover’s cravings.

hajime-salmon-sashimi

Sadly, my budget only allowed me to order one only, which is also my favorite – Shake Sashimi @ RM32. I don’t know about you but I felt the price was kinda standard.

fresh-salmon-sashimi

These six thick, juicy slices of salmon sashimi had such a rich umami taste, they are definitely the freshest I have ever tasted so far. I am pretty sure if you want any fresher sashimi than this you would need to fly to Japan already.

private-tatami-seating

The not-so private tatami seating for couples.

hajime-lady-set

Ladies dining at Hajime would be pleased to know that there is a set meal designed specially for them, called Hajime Lady’s Set @ RM55. The Lady’s Set is served on a Japanese basket and comprises of nine different dishes in small amount, great for you ladies out there who want to try a little of everything. A typical Lady’s Set includes sashimi, deep fried dish, steamed dish, sushi roll, grill dish, soba, relish and chawan mushi.

lady-set-sashimi

Salmon, Mackerel and Tuna sashimi in the Lady’s set.

chawanmushi

The chawan mushi is pretty loaded with ingredients like ginkgo seed and seafood bits.

salmon-potato

Potato wrapped with salmon.

makimono

Maki mono.

mushroom

Japanese-style tapas.

salad

Salad and Cha Soba.

fried-crocette

Fried chicken croquette.

shake-sushi

Salmon sushi @ RM12 – pricey but very delicious.

hajime-dragon-roll

A recommended Maki Mono at Hajime is the Golden Dragon @ RM28, shrimp tempura roll with unagi and avocado. Again, if you compare the price for a house-special Maki Mono at any Japanese restaurant, the price is almost the same but you certainly get a better bang for your buck here.

golden-dragon

Why? Because the Golden Dragon does not carry the word ‘golden’ for nothing. On top of the already premium unagi and large sea fresh king prawns, real and edible (albeit tasteless) gold flakes are used to garnish the sushi roll, giving it a “bling-bling” look.

sushi-golden-flakes

A closer look at the golden flakes.

miami-ink-sushi

Miami Ink (mixed raw fish with crispy soft shell crab) @ RM32 grabbed my attention with its funky name. The interesting combination of ingredients was something new for me too, as each piece of sushi is guaranteed of a filling of soft shell crab with sashimi slices as toppings.

miami-ink

A the center is a sweet and tangy dipping sauce for the sushi. I think citrus fruits were used to prepare the sauce, which is full of fresh and zesty flavor.

sesame-ice-cream

The homemade sesame ice cream had to be one of the tastiest Japanese ice cream we had so far, as good or maybe even better than the Sakura flavored one we had at Sango last year.

hajime-japanese-restaurant

Overall our dining experience was great, the food here is fresh and delectable. Service is top notch and I really have to praise the ever-attentive waiting staff, as our cup was constantly refilled with nice, hot green tea. For me, Hajime has set a new standard for Japanese cuisine, this fabulous restaurant is hard to beat!
By the way we got a RM10 voucher for spending more than RM100 in a single receipt, so you are sure we would be using it for our next visit real soon lol.

Hajime Japanese Restaurant
No 64, Jalan Damai Off Jalan Tun Razak,
55000, Kuala Lumpur
GPS Coordinates: N3 09.863 E101 43.208
Opening hours: 11.45am – 2.30pm, 6.15pm – 10.30pm
Tel: 03 2143 0073

1. chefmel says:

ah the food are really made so beautifully. and from the look of how it’s made, i would say it is very reasonably priced!
    chefmel´s last blog post ..Kek Seng Kopitiam

2. M@Y says:

Wow… Whenever i go to Japanese restaurants, i must go for their lunch/dinner set. I guess i like my food that has everything in one go. Great discovery though. It will be on my next makan trip list!

3. NakATa says:

If u think hajime is great, it must have been because u havent tried Fukuya at Jalan Delima :) it’s even better :)

• vkeong says:

Yep, Fukuya is on my to try list. But they are sooooo expensive!

• NakATa says:

their alacarte, haha, ya
        but their lunch and dinner set are quite reasonable :)

• vkeong says:

if not mistaken one of their dinner set is RM120++ haha. but will definitely try them one day for special occassion :)

I see their ambiance is very different from Hajime, more modern and classy

• Anonymous says:

Due to Hajime being closed down, we had brought our guest to Fukuya on one of the Saturday nites recently. In my opinion, honestly, I prefer Hajime. Maybe that was one of their bad nites, we had very bad service.

4. mimid3vils says:

The set lunch available on weekend too?

PS: R u writing for British shopping website VoucherCodes.co.uk. ? I received their e-mail too, did they send u any contract b4 u post this article?
    mimid3vils´s last blog post ..The One Cafe eat enjoy entertain

5. Yummy~ looked so delicious~

6. JD says:

Wow, this place looks really good! All the food looks so yummy.

Fukuya is more like fine dining Japanese restaurant and they do have lunch sets as well.
    JD´s last blog post ..Taiwan Day 4 – Goodbye Jiufen &amp Hello Beitou &amp Danshui

7. Genie says:

You are right, quality and freshness first the rest are secondary. I have to say though, these morsels are fine art. Edible art, but still art. It’s almost a shame to eat them, but at least you took plenty of photos so that you can relive these beautiful pieces of art. Thank you for sharing with us all.

8. Dio says:

Very nice place. I would like to recommend it for everyone! Great quality as well.

9. Taz says:

In KL for a couple of weeks will be taking your restaurant suggestions and hoping not to be disappointed.

Best regards
    Taz´s last blog post ..Dropouts BMXhibition

10. Yeah says:

Taz:

Best regards
    Taz´s last blog ..Dropouts BMXhibition

i think this restaurant is no more there cause of DBKL never give them the business license.

11. Alvin Lin says:

closed down due to DBKL, but will move to new shop next to Fukuya in April 2011.

12. Name (required) Michele says:

Is Fukuya that place behind Hock Choon?

13. ks says:

Is their phone number will be the same?

14. ck says:

Hajime is back! With a new name Coco.Tei.
    At 5, Jln Delima.
    ck´s last blog post ..CocoTei – 再。見Hajime

15. Albern says:

I’m undertaking a thing of the same interest and having note about this .Many thanks.

16. nora says:

I really love the food served by Hajime. I really want to know where they are located now. I have been to Jalan Damai and found the restaurant is no longer operating there. HELP

17. Amethyst says:

Is this restaurant close? Or still avialable ?

18. sehling says:

Hi, Vkeong, does the restaurant still operation? Cos I could not contact the number above.