Soon Lee Prawn Mee 顺利虾面 @ Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur

Thanks to a friend’s recommendation I have discovered a good Prawn Noodle stall at Jalan Ipoh called Soon Lee Prawn Mee. For a small hawker stall like this, it is surprising to know that it has been visited by various celebrities from HK, and yet it managed to escape the radar of the more ‘heavyweight food bloggers’.

prawn-noodles

The price is slightly more expensive than usual at RM5 for a normal bowl but at least the portion is bigger as well and they don’t stinge with the toppings too.

big-prawn-noodle

For a few more Ringgit you could top up for additional toppings like big prawns or squid. Out of curiosity I ordered one with additional prawns and it cost me RM9. For sure it is not something I would eat on a daily basis but the extra prawns were worth the shot. They were fresh with a crunchy texture and the flesh just came off the shells so easily.
Besides, the soup itself is already very good on its own and after mixing a few spoonfuls of their self-made chili paste into it, it just became more delicious with a spicy kick. Also, I have to commend the fact that the MSG level is very low and you could actually taste the authentic prawn flavor in the soup. So, even though I am from Penang I can safely say this stall’s Prawn Noodle would put a lot of ours to shame. My only complaint is that they don’t use pork ribs as one of the toppings!

char-koay-teow

While eating I saw a lot of people ordering their Char Koay Teow as well so I thought why not. It was a good decision considering it is one of the better Char Koay Teow I had in Klang Valley, which is also good enough to be recommend to my fellow Penangites.
The cook got it right mostly by frying the noodles with lard and infused a strong ‘wok hei’ into it. But it would be probably a good idea to have both foods separately so that the Char Koay Teow’s taste wouldn’t be overshadowed by the Prawn Noodle’s strong flavor.

soon-lee-prawn-mee

If not for the celebrities’ photos plastered on their stall front, it might just be an unassuming hawker stall to the casual eye.

hawker-stalls

It is easy to look for this place because you will have The Store supermarket and KFC along Jalan Ipoh to use as landmarks. Immediately after passing The Store on your right you will see a long stretch of hawker stalls which kind of look like a gluttony street (‘Wai Sek Kai’) Assuming you already made a u-turn at the traffic light and parked your car, you will be able to locate Soon Lee about 150m before KFC (which will be on your left now)

顺利虾面 Soon Lee Prawn Mee,
Jalan Batu Ambar, Off Jalan Ipoh,
Taman Kok Lian, Kuala Lumpur
GPS Coordinates: N3 12.161 E101 40.359
** Open in evenings only, off days not fixed

1. nikel says:

The place there very hardly to find a parking place except illegal parking.. ahaha.. Prawn noodles look great yo..
    nikel´s last blog post ..Pao Xiang BKT 宝香绑线肉骨茶 @ Taman Usahawan Kepong, Kepong

2. Sharon says:

is it open in the afternoon too?
    Sharon´s last blog post ..ronnycakes reviews: Hawker Fare at Hutong, Lot 10 KL

3. Great to know it has a low dose of msg. unfortunately, i can’t savour any prawns T_T
    :( btw, is this place open for breakfast?
    Michelle chin´s last blog post ..Review: Tong Pak Fu Dessert Shop @ KLCC

4. Their prawn noodles are just awesome. One of the best in KL.
    Apple Foodees´s last blog post ..Wanton Mee at Bentong, Pahang

5. Francoise says:

I love sea foods especially prawns and lobsters! The food looks so delicious, but the location of the store makes me think if the food is clean and free from any bacteria. Sorry for my observation.
    Francoise´s last blog post ..My Arowana Is Not Eating No Matter What I Do !!!

6. aslee says:

The prawn mee & the char koay teow look delicious!
    RM5 for a usual bowl of prawn mee is not 2 expensive by KL standard, considering the size of the prawns.
    THX 4 sharing.

7. M@Y says:

Oh! My parents brought me along when i was a teenager. Very soupy type. Can’t remember the taste already. Btw, the parking spot, sigh~

8. This makes me drool for a week! I want to taste this. It looks delicious. And I so love shrimp. I will go there and eat a lot. I just hope I can find a perfect parking space there. Thank you for sharing such mouth-watering post.

9. Rowan says:

It’s near my house, and i’ve been eating there since young…..they have increased the price, but they still taste the same…glad that you found this gem though….

10. AdrianT says:

That prawn mee soup with spice looks very very yummy!
    AdrianT´s last blog post ..Cook your own noodle here but make sure soup is hot hot HOT!

11. Kurt says:

Both the prawn mee and CKT look great. I will check out this place asap. Thanks for the recommendation!

12. Pik says:

Hi I realized u have a big section on prawn mee.

I recently went to Kuchai Lama for Madam Chong’s prawn mee, one of the best in town!! The pork noodles also very good. This used to be the famous prawn mee on Jalan Pudu, near the Pudu wet market. Now operated by the son and moved to Kuchai Lama. Landmark is at the back row from PapaRich.

Came back to check if u have included that in your prawn mee section …. Maybe u should venture out and try this.

13. Choong says:

If you love prawn mee, you should give this a try. YM Hawker @ Puchong Jaya

1. March 8, 2013

[...] day, we planned to have Soon Lee‘s prawn noodles for dinner but unluckily for us, they were not open. Then we noticed a Bak [...]