Hung Kee Wantan Mee @ Jalan Loke Yew

If you travel along Jalan Loke Yew frequent enough you will notice Hung Kee restaurant, an old institution many claim to serve one of the best Wantan Mee in KL. Now that’s a claim I heartily disagree with. First of all, do know that your noodles are prepared by foreign workers (nothing personal against them, but you ought to know) while the locals only take down the orders.

Chili

For no reason, here’s a photo of wooden chopsticks.

Roast-Pork-Wantan-Mee

I find the roast pork here quite terrible, soggy and tastes somewhat old. The hand-made noodle on the other hand is not bad, thinner than the usual with a nice bouncy texture but honestly nothing fantastic.

Char-Siew-Wantan-Mee

Char-Siew

The only thing that redeemed our meal was the delicious Char Siew. If you are wondering why we had extra ‘siu yuk’ it was because we ordered it together with the noodles not knowing it would suck so bad. The same goes for the wantans, they were some of the worst I have had in town.

Hung-Kee-Restaurant

Restoran-Hung-Kee

Based on my less than satisfactory eating experience at Hung Kee I can safely say I won’t be a returning customer. Even the wantan mee stall a stone throw’s away from my house could whip up better noodles (prepared by locals and not to mention cheaper too) so logically why would I want to eat here ever again?

Hung Kee
28-5 and 28-6, Jalan Loke Yew
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9221 7251

1. JD says:

Never knew it was that bad!
    JD´s last blog post ..The Procedure

2. Jess says:

It used to be sooo good that ten years+ back you have to wait for at least an hour.. That time it was cooked by locals no doubt.. But even then, it leaves your throat thirst for pilesss of water after consuming.. been wanting to go back all these times, but now I have second thoughts.. lol

3. Thiru says:

Nice blog, I just been there last week. :-) and lot of people there

4. Kent says:

Not many people knew that they have changed owner. That’s why the locals there don’t go there anymore.

5. Chee Siang says:

try going to the one in Taman Yulek in the morning..opposite Hau Kee

6. Andy says:

It used to be very good,one have to wait an hour+ just for a plate of wantan mee, big wantan and Sui kau. It was cook by the owners and due to retirement and they sold the business.

7. jav says:

Totally agreed with ur review. The food quality is really bad. They used to be good. Even their char siew sucks, very dry n not juicy. Won’t visit them anymore.

8. jav says:

totally agreed with your comments, I will definitely not return to this restaurant anymore. It used to be good, but not quality has degraded. The char siew was extremely dry, wanton mee is crap.