Mee Goreng Jalil @ Sungai Ara

This is what I am craving for here at Seri Kembangan, a good plate of mee goreng. In [tag]Penang[/tag], you can find mee goreng stalls almost anywhere whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have never seen any stall so far over here, sigh. Mee goreng is almost non-existent here! Actually I have blogged about mee Jalil before but it looked really bad because it was take away. Now that the presentation is so much nicer, I am sure you will be more tempted to try it.

mee goreng sungai ara

Mr. Jalil has been selling his signature noodles in Sungai Ara (which is also the place I stayed) ever since I started to work in Penang island. It didn’t take long for me to notice his presence, as I will surely pass by his stall every evening after work. After a brief disappearance, he returned and moved his stall to a better location across the street.

mee jalil sungai ara

Seen here he’s busy preparing mee rebus. And if you noticed, he’s using charcoal instead of gas. Charcoal is a hotter and more uneven heat source so it requires a very experienced person to control it nicely. He was completely fine with me taking photos of him, some of his friends even joked he’s going to appear in the newspaper, lol. Well, I guess appearing in my blog is not bad either yeah?

mee goreng sungai ara

The ingredients used are traditional, nothing fancy. No sweet and spicy squids too. Even so, it tastes great and even better if I request for more cucur udang (prawn fritters) “Tambah ‘heh chih’? OK!” would be his response, a touch of Hokkien. That’s the way I like to enjoy my mee goreng, with lots of prawn fritters. Notice that huge chunk on the lower left? It’s so crispy and probably the best prawn fritter ever! I think Jalil’s mee goreng is much better than the one at Bangkok Lane. The price is cheaper (RM2.50), waiting time is short and taste is good. There’s nothing to be complained.

teh tarik

Finished with a typical cup of over sweetened mamak teh tarik. Complete and full of satisfaction. Mee Jalil is selling in front a Chinese coffee shop along Fisherman’s Grill in [tag]Sungai Ara[/tag]. He usually opens in evening around 6-7pm and his noodles finishes before 8.30pm. The only problem with mee Jalil is his unpredictable business days. The time is the same but he can be MIA for a few days in a row, even in the weekdays! So, luck is also involved if you want to taste his delicious [tag]mee goreng[/tag].

mee goreng sungai ara

mee jalil sungai ara

mee goreng sungai ara

teh tarik

29 Comments on “Mee Goreng Jalil @ Sungai Ara

1. din spot this before… hmm.. seems like we need to put more food spy around Sg Ara…. :P

Let me bring the rest of the fatty to try it… i believe if it is good.. one plate is never enough for us….. See if Fei Fei and Tham Ciak able to join me for this food hunt….

hi.. I am Huat Koay… hawker food hunter for PenangTuaPui.com. Nice meeting you.. You own a very good blog. Keep it up…

Penang Tua Pui’s last blog post..Hawker Food: Nasi Lemak Seng Kim Hai, Sunshine Market

Thank you for visiting my blog.. Great to know another food hunter from Penang.. can share share our experience!

2. wmw

Cheap and nice! I like the prawn fritters too.

wmw’s last blog post..Rakuzen @ Hartamas

Prawn fritters are the beeeeeeest!! haha

3. looks like i have been con when i eat mee goreng in all those mamaks all this while..this looks like the real deal!

lotsofcravings’s last blog post..Ocha-Cha @ Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur

Yes, this is the real deal.. those mamaks’ quality are not standardized.. one day it’s good another day it sucks. My worst mee goreng was in a nasi kandar restaurant.. ewwww

4. such a simple dish but with great taste…that’s how penang hawker food are like huh. :D

buzzingbee’s last blog post..Let the good times roll

5. yeah have to agree with u that its hard to find good mee goreng indian around KL..im craving for it too

Good char koay teow is hard to come by too :(

6. I seldom order mee goreng (the yellow mee) cos I had one bad experience – wet, soggy mee goreng… eww… you know how yellow mee tastes like when it’s “soggy…

jason’s last blog post..That Big Portion

Ahh.. then you should definitely try the ones in Penang lah.. those I recommend only :P

7. I miss Mee Jalil a lot. :(
    It’s just right downstairs of my previous apartment.

e-Leng’s last blog post..Sunway Pyramid Suites & Studio

8. If i have a chance, i will taste this mee goreng with my friends. :p

Bibombio Tay’s last blog post..I want to

9. Hi! it’s me again,
    This Mee Goreng looks like “Mamak Mee Goreng”, It’s sure look delicious and each time I click to your blogger, it boost up my appetite and make me hungry. Yamy, yampy….

Hello friend, my Mee Goreng taste good too, if only you can try …

Well! perhaps, one day you can come over to Marang, Terengganu to visit “Angullia Beach House Resort” just 20 mins walk from my home and try my sister’s varieties prepared for the Guests at the resort. And you should also try my “Roti Perata” very special, taste good with spicy curry. Really hope to see you here one day!

Regards from Marang, Terengganu, Malaysia,
    Lily Arbee

10. Never know there’s a stall like that in Sg Ara area.

11. hayo no bangkok lane mee goreng please…. :S

looks good…still the one beside ais tingkap stall (beside chowrasta) is unbeatable.

Where is this ais tingkap stall thing @_@ I have been hearing you talk about it quite often

12. vkeong,

you are right. it was kampungboy who you bumped into the other day. drop us an email, leave your number and we shall go yum cha one day :)

13. Walao… Cannot come to your site when hungry. Cannot tahan… :P

Jayce’s last blog post..First Google AdSense payment with Western Union

14. Hi. I found an article related to Japan in your site.
    I want to often visit your site from now on.
    Do you like Japanese Food and fashion and animation…?
    If you are interested in Japan, please link to my site
    My site has information about Japanese culture
    (For example, Japanese health food, animation, games).
    Would you introduce information(URL)in your site if you like it?
    E-Mail/bunbungirl888@yahoo.co.jp

AKIHIRO ITO’s last blog post..Japanese Food_Tofu_health_United Kingdom

15. yewjin

I just love your photo shots. I am a noob on cameras or even using one – I wish you could share some tips on how you shoot your pictures – blurring back ground… etc…

Thanks!

yewjin, I am also quite noob, because those blurry background shots are achieved using a 50mm lens I bought for my D400. Using a 1.8 aperture.. anyone can shoot a blurry background photo

16. : ) I just did a post on ais tingkap penang. There are brochure, map and a video. Hope it helps.

Jian aka Cokeworld Citizen’s last blog post..Penang Ais Tingkap (Window Sherbet)

17. woaaaaaa… it’s been ages I haven’t land my tongue on Mee Goreng. I had to stop eating it more than 12 years ago because of upset stomach each time I ate it. I can only eat Mee Kuah Daging @ Tari Kafe… :-D

But the Teh Tarik made me drooled – I have to buy my supply of BOH tea to make it.

Looks like whenever I’m craving for Penang food, this is the place to drool…LOL.

Keep up the great work. Cheers!

pixen’s last blog post..Vietnamese Dinner @ Com Viet

18. Manjit Singh

Ex-BM dude (huge mamak food devotee) now residing in San Francisco, Calif. Great job on the photos and blog!

19. Hi VKeong,

where is it? any landmark where i can try to find fr this? I am mee goreng fans as well.. but seems like not many place have nice one. Even Jones road one is not that nice di

strawberry gal’s last blog post..Pandan Chicken from Thai Express, Queensbay Mall, Penang

vk: Follow this wikimapia http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=5.319503&lon=100.269953&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

Please note his opening hours ok :) Let me know when you’ve tried it

20. lenin_my

Mamak mee goreng in nasi kandar shops nowadays are fried by new cooks from india so the penang feel of it will be lacking, try the hawker style mamak mee goreng instead of the nasi kandar ones.

vk: Totally agree.. i would never ever order mee goreng from nasi kandar shops.. mamak is still the better place to go for mee/maggi goreng

21. ABC

hey, u cn try tis nice mee goreng jz opposite TNB penang at anson road,,,realy nice …=)

22. This looks amazing! I am craving for some too!

Pigpigscorner’s last blog post..A New Year, A New Start – A Spanish Meal’s Recipes

vk: it IS quite the amazing :) Much nicer than the Bangkok Lane’s

23. The Stig

I just tried the mee goreng yesterday, not bad at all :)

vk: Finally!! Someone who went and try (and actually gave feedback!) Thank you so much!! hahah..

24. timidmuncher

Hi, can i check whether the stall is at Lrg Kenari, next to the Jalan Dato Ismail Hashim?

Also, as I am from overseas, what is the best day to go down to catch him?

Thanks

1. To be honest I have no idea about the roads you just mentioned. It’s been 2 years since I had his noodle, I can’t confirm if he’s still operating his stall there.

1. timidmuncher

no worries. thanks. I’ve been following your blog for years and this Mee Jalil post remained stuck in mind. Looks really fantastic.

1. Yeah it is a fantastic mee goreng alright. It’s not like those spicy ones found in George Town.. just nice because of the cook’s skill and the gravy, and not forgetting his delicious prawn fritters too.. really a hidden gem.

I might be going back one day to check out whether he’s still there and make a new introduction post. He is one tricky fella to spot because he closes whenever he feels like it.

1. timidmuncher

I tried the fort cornwallis sotong mee goreng … thought it was very so – so.
            I loved Mee Manja though … its along lorong hutton … that one was really good.

this mee jalil however … i don’t know whether its your picture taking skill or what … but it looks freaking delicious … if i do spot him and try it … will let you know my opinion … thanks =)

1. the Fort Cornwallis one is ok only for me, I felt it’s a bit too spicy to be enjoyed properly..