Good Master (食王) Dry Bak Kut Teh @ Taman Mutiara, Bukit Mertajam

I have less chance of blogging about Penang food now because I have moved to Selangor. So, whenever I go back to my home in Bukit Mertajam I would compile a list of food to be included in my blog, which I deem worthy to try. And because the duration of my stay is really short, I rarely travel all the way to the island anymore. While looking around for interesting food to blog, I accidentally found that an old [tag]Bak Kut Teh[/tag] shop near my house actually sells Dry Bak Kut Teh!
Good Master or 食王 (Shi Wang) is actually one of the busiest BKT restaurant in BM. It was also featured as one of the top 20 Bak Kut Teh restaurants in Malaysia by Guang Ming daily. So, I had rather high expectation and really looked forward to try it.

dry-bak-kut-teh

One thing I want to be clear is that I actually anticipated the Dry Bak Kut Teh to taste like those I have tasted in Puchong. Well, simply because that’s the only [tag]Dry Bak Kut Teh[/tag] I have ever tasted so far.

When I ordered for it, I was told by the cook that they need at least 30 minutes to prepare it, and customers usually reserve earlier by phone! I was surprised, as the one in Puchong only takes 10 minutes to cook.
Well, I had no choice but to sit there watching TV and bought the next day’s newspaper to read for the next 30 minutes, alone. I had a feeling the Dry Bak Kut Teh would be totally different from my expectation. Finally, the food arrived and this was how the Dry Bak Kut Teh looked like. It cost RM18 for the smallest serving, which is actually meant for 2 pax.

dry-bak-kut-teh

*Sorry for the blurry photo* Taste wise, I can safely conclude that it is nothing similar to Selangor’s version of Dry Bak Kut Teh. I am guessing Good Master’s chef took the dish’s name literally and proceeded to cook the soup version till it became dry. So, you still can actually taste the herby flavor in it.
One of the ingredients used was a type of vegetable, the dish was full of it. I don’t know its name but it packed an overwhelming taste so strong that I didn’t like at all.

shi-wang-bak-kut-teh

When I paid for the food, the taukeh soh asked me to comment on their Dry Bak Kut Teh. I responded by saying I actually preferred the Selangor version with dried cuttlefish and okra, lol. Her reply to my comment was that she tried it in Klang before, and this was actually their own recipe.
I do recognize the fact that each restaurant has to have their own unique recipe for preparing their dishes in order to stand out. But, if the recipe is modified till the extent of the dish became bad tasting.. is it worth it? Hmm.
GPS Coordinates: N5 21.628 E100 26.670

1. Chin says:

Selangor DryBKT taste more like soy sauce braised pork then BKT. I luv to try Good Master version!

Chin’s last blog post..The Steamboat Ketam Village, Waterfront Desa Parkcity

2. NKOTB says:

So, would you recommend this??

NKOTB’s last blog post..Opera

vk: I mentioned it was bad tasting.. so I thought it was a clear no :P

3. lingzie says:

it does look good in the photo…unfortunate about the taste. the only dry BKT i’ve had is actually from Rou Gu Cha King! lol that tasted…ok la. havent had the chance to try the selangor one though.
    currently in love with the klang pandamaran one :P

4. cumi&ciki says:

i always get the feeling that the dry one is more unhealthy than the soup one. But in reality, the cholesterol is high in both anyway right? haha… dry is good!

cumi&ciki’s last blog post..Coliseum KL

5. J2Kfm says:

you bought … the NEXT day paper and read? hehe …guess the wait was really prolonged ….

J2Kfm’s last blog post..Nam Chun @ Lucky Garden, Bangsar – Perk YOUR Morning Up with a bowl of Sarawak Laksa

vk: Yeap, no mistake there, NEXT day’s paper lol. I think you have seen Chinese newspaper peddlers coming into restaurants selling tomorrow’s paper right? It’s called Night Paper (Wan Bao)

6. Thank you so much for your informative blog. I will be visiting Bukit Mertajam as part of my trip in February so your tips on the food there will really come in useful.

vk: Hi Devon, enjoy your trip to Bukit Mertajam!

7. RollsRoyce says:

Makes me want to eat Bak Kut Teh for healthy meals xD

RollsRoyce’s last blog post..Free Gift Pack Cards @ Zhu Xian Online <<诛仙>>

vk: Healthy meals by Bak Kut teh? can or not, lol

8. Jessey says:

lolz.. u blog for BM food again, it makes me more home sick.. I’ll be going back to BM middle of the month as well, and will taking this chance to makan makan!

Especially for Sentosa – Yam Rice, Tmn Mutiara – BKT, Malay Char Kuey Teow, Ceruk Tukun – Mee Goreng and so on.. Too much in my list.. =]

Jessey’s last blog post..San Francisco Steakhouse

9. This looks great. never try on dry bat kut teh b4.

Food Promotions’s last blog post..Breakfast At Dome

10. jason says:

Em… haven’t got the chance to try dry BKT yet…. so can’t really comment.

jason’s last blog post..Coca Steamboat, Subang Parade

11. haha BKT i suppose is klang territory..i suppose penang shud concentrate on what they r good @ eh?

lotsofcravings’s last blog post..Bellygood Restaurant @ Sunway Mentari

12. penangTuaPui says:

aiya.. beh ho seh la.. like that…..

I am thinking the BKT would be good for us…. mana tau…

ok la.. then still need to hunt for great dry bak kut teh at Penang……

vk: Yes, please do hunt for it and let us know :)

13. noobcook says:

the dry type looks really interesting… hope I have a chance to try it out!

noobcook’s last blog post..Ginseng Chicken Soup

14. tiramisu says:

i prefer the BKT opposite this restaurant, more tasty. the side order, cha tau guo(炸豆干)very crispy … i luv too.

15. johnkor says:

Buisness tatic !

16. tcboy says:

there are 2 bak kut teh shops at taman mutiara.
    they are located JUST OPPOSITE to each others… =.=”
    i dunno they got dry bak kut teh… maybe just started to sell?
    anyway i prefer right side tat shop (assuming tat i coming from sunshine(last time billion))
    there are dry bak kut teh in BM too but i forgot
    the only 1 i rmb is opposite dim sum city tat corner shop, not sure now still hav sell or not

17. elaine says:

Greetings from Christmas Island! Im back in BM for sometime now and always searchin for nice food to eat on the weekends. Do blog more about BM food as it’s so difficult for us to decide where to eat when we go out on the weekends. Thanks to your blog, it provides some good recommendations. Keep blogging