Lou Wong Bean Sprouts Chicken (Nga Choi Gai) @ Ipoh

During my last trip to Ipoh I finally had the opportunity to try the famous Bean Sprouts Chicken (Nga Choi Gai). It is a fact that whenever Ipoh is mentioned, the first food to come mind would be Bean Sprouts Chicken Rice or Koay Teow. Although I have been to Ipoh a couple of times, I did not try this symbolic food simply because I have always ended up in kopitiam drinking white coffee instead, lol. Besides being the most famous, Lou Wong was also agreed, by many to serve one of the best Bean Sprouts Chicken Rice in Ipoh.

nga-choy-gai

Well I think everyone should know that Bean Sprouts Chicken is similar to Hainanese Steamed Chicken, just that it is eaten together with a plate of bean sprouts. So, it all boils down to the smoothness and tenderness of the steamed chicken to separate itself from the other chicken rice. Lou Wong’s steamed chicken’s skin had this slippery smooth texture and tender yet firm flesh, which was truly terrific.

bean-sprouts

Bean Sprouts – seasoned with some pepper, light soya sauce and oil. I didn’t find anything special about the taste but their shapes were definitely a bit shorter and fatter than the usual taugeh.

beef-balls

We also ordered some of Lou Wong’s famous beef balls. They were quite big and had a bouncy and springy texture. Nice.

hor-fun

The Kue Tiau (Koay Teow) was tasty because of the sweet, flavorful soup. But it had some bubbles that looked weird to me. I tried not to think too much while eating but I am still wondering if they are caused by dish wash that wasn’t properly washed off the bowls lol.

steam-chicken-pot

Lou Wong’s chicken is tasty alright but I was quite appalled by the level of hygiene practiced by the waiters. Hands that touched remments of previous eaters and table cloth are the same hands used to serve food and drinks. Can you imagine my horror when I saw one of their fingers dipped into our koay teow soup?
Well, I guess this is something often overlooked by many when patronizing Lou Wong so I thought there was no point complaining. Besides, nothing happened to me anyway after the meal, I just felt a bit geli lol. Oh by the way, this was where the chickens were cooked by placing them into the big steel pots of boiling water.

steamed-chicken

Then they would be transferred and hung here after being fully cooked, ready for any customer’s orders.

lou-wong-tauge-ayam

There are a few Bean Sprouts Chicken restaurants here as well with Onn Kee (diagonally opposite) being the biggest competitor to Lou Wong. And after some research I found that some people actually preferred Onn Kee’s chicken to Lou Wong’s. Hmm, I can only wait for my next trip to Ipoh find out myself.

most-famous

I don’t know about being the best, but Lou Wong is definitely the most popular in Ipoh. You won’t believe the exaggerating crowd eating here, people were standing around waiting for tables!
Because of this, you are kinda forced to leave immediately after finishing your meal to give up the table. You know the uneasy feeling you get when people are staring at your table, silently hoping for you to finish your food as soon as possible? lol. If you can overlook this and the questionable hygiene, then yeah Lou Wong is recommended.

Restoran Lou Wong Tauge Ayam KueTiau (老黄芽菜鸡沙河粉)
49, Jalan Yau Tet Shin,
30000 Ipoh

nga-choy-gai

bean-sprouts

beef-balls

hor-fun

steam-chicken-pot

steamed-chicken

lou-wong-tauge-ayam

most-famous

Restoran Lou Wong Tauge Ayam KueTiau (老黄芽菜鸡沙河粉)
49, Jalan Yau Tet Shin,
30000 Ipoh

37 Comments on “Lou Wong Bean Sprouts Chicken (Nga Choi Gai) @ Ipoh

1. Oon Kei still my favourite compare to Lou Wong, I think most of the local too.

but sometime I feel too boring when I need to get my fren to try their chicken whenever they come to Ipoh :(

one more thing that I feel frus, he likes Lou Wong instead of Onn Kei…. :(

vkeong, tell me how a? geram……

Allie’s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Top Taste Hokkien Mee

vk: Try both? Problem solved :P

2. I like the beefballs too!

I generally don’t like steamed chicken, but Lou Wong’s version is an exception! Smooth and tender… *yumm* =)

Bangsar-bAbE’s last blog post..Four Seasons Restaurant, Bayswater

3. Nice Steam chicken with bean sprouts. I prefer to eat the steam chicken more though ahaha!

RollsRoyce’s last blog post..UCPro News Editor’s Destiny

4. I have never been to this place but I knew this place is a popular place in Ipoh. Will drop by one day to try it out!

FoOd PaRaDiSe’s last blog post..Sabah Food Hunt Part 7 @ Lintas, Kota Kinabalu

5. those arent pork balls?

and the bubbles may arise from pouring the hot soup in the bowl of kuey teow …. not dishwasher lah. :)

J2Kfm’s last blog post..HANOI – The 1st Day

vk: To be honest I can’t remember whether it’s pork or beef balls lol. Yeah about the dishwash I was just kidding hehe. I notice the bubbles everytime I have Ipoh Koay Teow (usually at Old Town Kopitiam)

6. agree with Allie, Onn Kei is much better tasting compared to the overrated Lou Wong. Everyone has different taste and preference though

7. Yeahhh. I like the chicken and bean spouts

GirlGirl’s last blog post..Masak-masak for Saybah’s Farewell

8. Onn Kee is usually the popular one among locals, although foreigners would prefer Lou Wong. To me, they taste the same! *terrible* But do try the Onn Kee’s chicken next time and do a comparison ok. So you must must remember how the Lou Wong chicken taste from now until then. :P

iamthewitch’s last blog post..My near death experience

9. the chicken looks smooth! Ipoh steamed chicken really lives up to its title :) But.. i still have bean sprouts phobia.. haha
    Will only crave for the chicken! ;P

Christine’s last blog post..Amore Pizzeria & Ristorante @ Shuttle Street

10. Wow… The bean sprouts has just confirmed the fact that Ipoh bean sprouts are certainly fat and short! The chicken looks good too!:-) Must come and try next time because the last time I came, it has already closed for the day…:-(

Thomas’s last blog post..Wall Of Dreams

11. looking at this entry is literally teasing me as I know I couldn’t just make my way there in a jiffy from home to taste them..
    however, in ref. to the meat balls, i am pretty sure they’re pork as my dad always order ‘ju yok yun yak wun’ as they are sure delicious and bouncy!
    yum!! salivating again…

12. the bean sprout, the chicken… covered with soy sauce.. I just feel like taking a pair of chopstick now and pick it from my screen.. that kue tiau soup…ohhhhh….

Elaine’s last blog post..Album that on my playlist

13. Anonymous

these are all overated. Should go try Thean Chun in old town. This has the best flavour.

vk: thank you anon. I will look up for it

14. Lo Wong always taste good!

Big Boys Oven’s last blog post..

15. i prefer Onn Kei…:P

PenangTuaPui’s last blog post..Cheras Economy Rice

16. Amy

Yes, I’m an Ipohian and I only go to Thean Chun because this is the best.

vk: Thean Chun eh. OK OK I will mark down this place for my next Ipoh visit. Hakka Mee also hehe

17. Anonymous

onn kee the noodle is better…lou wong’s chicken nicer…but there are full with tourist at lou wong all the time

18. Anonymous

by the way,there use to b a lou wong branch at ‘di di gong’ now changed d

19. I prefer Onn Kei for not-so-oily kuey teow. But I think both shops’ hygiene factor were almost the same.

jason’s last blog post..Lavish Meal at Sawatdee, Part 2

20. miku

i been there…since my 1st time eat…nice…but kinda oily…^^lll

21. jeff

brother, i m ipoh guy, i love lou wong also,
    but have 1 shop is better than it lol~~~~~

22. cHInG

I love Lou Wong! Their chicken is ultra smooth and their keow tiau too. However, i think it’s partly because they were practically drenched in chicken oil. However, their taste is superb and do you guys know they use ‘wu sou kai’ (a type of expensive chichken)? It’s really hard to cook this type of chicken as they are leaner, hence harder to make they smooth. So thumbs up for lou wong!

Some claim cowan street nga choi kai is better. I think their hor fun is better. but chicken is definitely lou wong.

23. cts

do u guys have any idea what time will lou wong chicken rice restaurant be opened? plan to go there from kl but don’t wanna go there to see a closed restaurant… thanks!

24. Fandi

Hi there, I would like to highlight a complaint that you might be interested. A complaint against, Restaurant Onn Kee.%D%A%D%AOn 22nd September 2009, me and my family went to Jalan Yau Tet Shin in Ipoh.%D%A%D%AWe parked our car in front of Restaurant Onn Kee after circling the city for an hour looking for a parking lot.%D%A%Dut to our surprised, we were immediately and fiercely told to remove our car as they said the parking lots in front of their shop are private properties which is nonsense as it was clearly public parking lots.%D%A%D%AWe were hesitated because we are tax payers, why are we not allowed to park there. But as any good citizen, we politely asked them can we park there for just a little while after all, we saw their customers parking there before us.%D%A%Dut instead of telling us cannot, they were shouting at us but we clearly cannot understand their language. And since we have children and also old folk with us, we were irritated with the shouting. So we said we were just asking, no need to get angry in a soft tone, we have dozens of witnesses, if only they are listening. But one of their bosses or staff there were again clearly showing sign of gangsterism saying if you do not remove you car you will regret it.%D%A%D%AWe of course remove our car, not because we are afraid of them but we are just there to do some quick shopping with our family and don\\t intend to get involve in any untoward incident.%D%A%Dan you please highlight this. Please stop them from day light robbery of our public properties.%D%A%Dnd also, Restaurant Lou Wong are also occupying alot of public parking lots for their private use. But the worst is Restaurant Onn Kee, we believed many have experience similar bad experiences with them.%D%A%D%AI am very sure alot of people would be interested in this issue. Especially those that were affected and threaten by these ignorant and selfish shop owners.

25. I taste Lou WOng and is not nice as all. Oon Kee is nicer.. i prefer that more.. and more clean as for sure

26. eric

hi chng i learn something new when you said “wu sou kai” :) can enlighten me what kind of chicken is that? cheers

27. the screamyx man

who can tell me what time they open? chinese new years got open boh?

28. Richard T

About the comment on the bubbles in the soup of the koay teow, best to avoid or don’t eat too much (sorry to be party-popper). It’s not remnant dish-washing liquid either. When you order a bowl each of koay teow soup and meehoon soup and when they are served, the meehon soup won’t have bubbles or have much less – so, the bubbles are not due to remnant dish-washing liquid.
    Yeah, I believe they are pork balls with pieces of octopus (dark color bits) – not beef balls.

29. Jane Lim

I taste before…..soup n the chicken…..honesty to tell u all…..ok nia

30. edfsdafaf

now ..not good eat at here..so ……

31. S.K.Cheong

I was down in Ipoh Sunday with my wife. Went to Lou Wong to try Nga Choi Gai. Big disappointment. Nothing to shout about the chicken and Nga Choi. I have tasted better chicken in KL.

32. Anonymous

ya totally agree…im eating there today also…when i eat there i can smell something disgusting from the drainage…bcos the connect the toilet pipe to drainage…the table we eating is on top of it…so just imagine…haizz…poor services…poor chicken…poor hygyine…so poor customer loh…no next time for me…

33. Ano

Lou Wong is juz over exaggerated. The chicken wasnt tender…quite hard. No proper chili to go with the chicken. Only the chopped “cili padi”. Usually we eat chicken rice with the blended red chili. Bad customer service. No way am I gonna go bk there. Will hv to try Onn Kee to see the diff.

34. They are our biggest client, we supply product for them.

For those interested please visit our website http://www.hicomi.com.my.

35. Grace

Anybody can tell me what is the operating time of this restaurant? I will go Ipoh but not confirm the time, so I hope wont’ miss this delicious restaurant.

36. Anonymous

The Lou Wong Chicken Rice is not nice at all. Tauge is not Ipoh tauge!!! Annoying

37. ALVIN

LO WONG SERVICE LIKE SUCK, ALL WORKER VERY LANXI, NO SERVICE ATTITUDE AT ALL, I REALLY REGREAT TODAY I GO & TRY, ONLY MAKE ME & MY FAMILY VERY ANGRY, FOOD TASTE JUST NORMAL, BUT VERY EXPENSIVE, SERVICE BAD BAD BAD…..