Melaka Food | Jonker 88 Desserts @ Jonker Street – Cendol & Ais Kacang

So, you are visiting Melaka, strolling along the famous Jonker Street. Then you get exhausted and sweating from all the walking and sun, wanting to get a place to sit down and enjoy icy cool desserts. Don’t fret! Jonker 88, a self-claimed Museum Cafe located right at the middle of Jonker Street serves some home-made cendol and ice kacang, unique only to Melaka.
OK that intro wasn’t really necessary if you have been to Jonker Street, lol. I bet most of you who have visited Melaka already tried the famous cendol and ice kacang right? No? Then do remember to try the desserts in your next trip yeah. That been said, lets proceed with the foooooood.

durian-cendol

Oops, blur photo! Anyway this is the critically acclaimed Durian Cendol that everyone seemed to love. But dude, where’s my durian syrup? Do you see any? Me neither. Actually the syrup was there (I saw she poured it on the cendol with my own eyes) but I guess I was the unlucky one for getting so little durian love from the lady. Definitely not “durian” enough so I didn’t enjoy, hmmph. So remember to ask for more durian syrup lah.

ba-bao-cendol

Having no idea what to choose for the second dessert, I simply picked the E.P.C, which stands for Eight Precious Cendol. I am gueesing this cendol had eight different ingredients under the shaved ice from its name. Peanuts and cendol are pretty obvious but I didn’t check the rest of the ingredients though.
Gula Melaka (palm sugar) and Santan were heavily drizzled on both desserts, but not as much if compared to my first visit 4 years ago. That time, the word “flooded” would be more appropriate, lol. Actually this worked for me because I feel too much Gula Melaka would spoil the cendol for its overpowering taste and oversweetness.
Anyway, I have said it before and I will say it again.. I still like Penang’s version of cendol and ice kacang more, hehe.

self-service-jonker-dessert

Self-service is required here for the desserts and noodles. So, you gotta queue starting from the entrance, place your order, wait for the staff to prepare it (remember more Durian syrup!!) and carry it to your table.

jonker-desserts

Which requires you to go through a small door and the massive crowd..

jonker-88

To find yourself with no available tables at all… What I want to say is to hog a table first before ordering lah.

baba-laksa

If you haven’t try Baba Laksa before, Jonker 88 is a good place to try. It is basically a noodle in sweet coconut milk soup, served with some cucumber and onion slices, tofu pok and a spoonful of tuna. With the addition of tuna, Baba Laksa tasted like both curry mee and laksa combined in a good way.
I am sure there are other places to look for better Nyonya/Baba Laksa but that would depend on whether you know the direction to those places. For us, we were in for a short trip and simply did not have the luxury of time to hunt for the best of all food.

jonker-dessert-typo

Can you notice the typo in less than 5 seconds?

mam-jonker-88

Visiting Melaka wouldn’t be complete without having a bowl of icy cool cendol or ice kacang in Jonker 88 Museum Cafe. Agree?

Jonker Dessert 88
88, Jalan Hang Jebat,
75200 Melaka

durian-cendol

ba-bao-cendol

self-service-jonker-dessert

jonker-desserts

Which requires you to go through a small door and the massive crowd..

jonker-88

baba-laksa

jonker-dessert-typo

Can you notice the typo in less than 5 seconds?

mam-jonker-88

Jonker Dessert 88
88, Jalan Hang Jebat,
75200 Melaka

33 Comments on “Melaka Food | Jonker 88 Desserts @ Jonker Street – Cendol & Ais Kacang

1. durian cendol…. interesting one… will try it up for sure……

the environment is nice too….

2. agree. cendol in Penang remains my preferred choice. but Swatow’s ABC a bit drop in quality. maybe lack of milk. Kek Seng’s durian ice-cream nice, but that’s all to it. Lrg Selamat’s none too memorable either, except the peanut ice cream!!! (slurp!).

where else nice ABC ah?

J2Kfm’s last blog post..The 3rd Day – An Even Harder Path …. in Sapa, Vietnam

3. Eh I prefer the Melaka type cendol, which is also the cendol we could find in Kampar or Sitiawan, using Gula Melaka. I don’t like Penang’s version of cendol/ABC which use the ‘sarsi-like’ sugar. Luckily the Penang Road Cendol doesn’t use sarsi-like sugar. :)

iamthewitch’s last blog post..No thanks to Manhattan Fish Market

vk: I am a hugeeeeeeeeeeeee fansi of sarsi flavoring in ice kacang.. for me it lifts up the flavor and gives a very refreshing taste too~

4. Everytime I go to Malacca, this is the place that I sure will stop by for cendol and laksa too.
    There’s another place got great cendol, the yellow house. You went before?

allie’s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Bravo Italiana (Re-visit)

5. best cendol!!! better than the ones in penang anytime

Duckie’s last blog post..Pantai Seafood Restaurant, Kampung Sg Kayu Ara

vk: I guess it’s a matter of personal preference then :)

6. I want more more gula melaka pls…..

mimid3vils’s last blog post..CWZJ Cuisine

7. musuem is the typo error! :)

cariso’s last blog post..Kozue Japanese Restaurant

vk: Correct :D

8. I tried the Baba laksa before and found it ok only…The cendol was pretty tasty, but like you, I like Penang’s version of cendol more! =)

Bangsar-bAbE’s last blog post..Jin Xuan Hong Kong, Damansara Jaya

vk: Yeah! Gimme 5~

9. This is the place i used to drop by when visiting Melaka. I like the interior of the building with high ceiling which gives a cooling effect even though outside weather is hot.

Lizhi’s last blog post..A Place to Retire…

10. I am from Pg and Penang still has the best cendol -Penang rd- I will make sure to have that cendol every time I go back to Pg. I definatly will try your recomendations of Malacca when I visit
    thanks

Fredtan’s last blog post..

11. I’ve always wanted to try out Nyonya’s dishes after i watched The Little Nyoya drama. I’ll be going to Melaka this October, so must do some research where to eat great Melaka food…I’ll find my way to Jonker Street! If you knw where to eat Nyonya food, let me know ya! Thanx^^

12. I thought I was the only one who loved Penang Cendol more than elsewhere. :P Well, I prefer simplicity in my dessert rather than having too many stuff added in. I wonder if anyone felt that the Melaka cendol is a bit too sweet?

Criz Lai’s last blog post..SIONG HO FISH HEAD NOODLES AND PORRIDGE

vk: I DO! I believe in moderation when it comes to sweetness hehe

13. Ya, it is sweet cause it has gula melaka as the topping. It’s tasty for me :D

14. Sorry, i’ve not been to Malacca, but I see many blog about Jonker Street…. is it like chai leng park’s wai sik kai?

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..Canton-i Restaurant 廣東金廚粥麵家

15. gula melaka anything is good la :P

cumidanciki’s last blog post..Funky Cars with your Fun Kee Wantan Mee?

vk: Gula Melaka steak? Gula Melaka curry mee? How’s that :P :P :P

16. jeeheng

oh.. i try this b4.. very nice.. the durian ice kacang and nyonya asam laksa is the best..

17. I would like to know your business hours?

18. someone

cendol here is nothing to shout about but the environment is very nice and makes you feel like you’ve gone back in time.

vk: totally agree about the environment :)

19. Hi there,

Do try the Traditional Peranakan Cendol at Breakthrough Cafe!!!
    Its good and original!!!

Michelle Lam’s last blog post..Promotions

20. s'ban chap

i went there this wekend and found that the quality is not as good as it mentioned.
    the durian cendol totally no durian taste if i compare it with TKH durian cendol.

store 88 not up to my expectataion.

21. Yes Nice. And nice pictures too. Go Taiping and shoot some nice ones.

22. I prefer ice cendol infront of the Stadhuys.

23. Pingback: Original Katong Spoon Laksa (Marine Parade Laksa) @ Bedok | Malaysia Food Blog, Malaysia Travel Blog

24. nearby-uni-student

what’s the opening hour?

25. lim seng

The cendol was “solid” when I first tasted it two years ago. Topped with fragrant santan and thick syrupy gula melaka. But sad to say, last time I tasted it, it was diluted and bland, to say the least. These days when I pop over to Melaka, I never pop in to Jonker 88 anymore.

26. Anonymous

Jonker 88 cendol’s standard drop. Just tasted it last june, wasn’t as good as before. However, assam laksa and curry chicken tasted yummy. For cendol, can try Makko.

27. Hi VK,i just want to share some thought with you and I’m Not a SpamBot or whatsoever …i’m a Real Human Who love Jazz Songs…Lolz…

If you are a Laksa Lover then Probably you may have tried the Rest and now it’s time for you to try The BEST Laksa at BESS Kopitiam while you are here in Melaka,Malaysia.

BESS Kopitiam has been choosen as The BEST Laksa outlet in Malaysia year 2009 – 2010 by the General Public in the http://www.fabfood1malaysia.com

” Reputedly The Best Laksa With Distinguished Taste That Leaves One Craving For More ”

Address : 378 – C ,Taman Sin Hoe , Bukit Baru ,75150, Melaka, Malaysia.
    H/P : ( 60 ) 017 618 8055
    Contact : Ms Tan Peng Boon
    Operation Hours : 7.30am – 2pm
    Every Thursday is our OFF day

Nyonya Laksa : RM 3.30
    Mee Siam : RM 2.80
    Nasi Lemak : RM 2.80

BESS Kopitiam Blog : http://besskopitiam888.blogspot.com/

China Press News : http://www.chinapress.com.my/content_new.asp?dt=2010-12-19&sec=mas&art=1219mc35.txt

GPS Coordinates : N 02°13.031′ E 102°15.979′ or N 02°12.59.6″ E102°15.57.9″

Cheers…
    Erwin´s last blog post ..Fabulous Food 1 Malaysia Rewards at PWTC on Dec 18 – 2010

28. Thanks for the tip. Did you try the one at the Dutch Square?
    Nicholas´s last blog post ..Penang Asam Laksa and Hokkien Prawn Mee At Seapark

29. rac

Ths shop cendoi is ok..but beside ths shop 68 is better but very no manner…scold customer.

30. afiqah

hey..i would to ask..the foods halal or not

1. hi afiqah.. I think they are pork free only

31. Tom

Hi all,

We have just finished a post about Jonker 88 Jonker Street!

Hope you’ll enjoy our post and if you do, “like” us on Facebook TODAY!

Tom,
    2bearbear.com

32. Will definitely not going back for this.
    Just went there two days ago. Despite the high price, RM4 for a bowl of Durian Baba Chendol with just loads of shaved ice, the attitude of the workers and owner of the shop is a HUGE disappointment.
    Emily´s last blog post ..Kissa Koyotei @ Hutton Lane