RM1.20 Nasi Lemak @ Sri Weld Food Court, Beach Street

PJ has a famous RM1.20 nasi lemak, in Penang we have it too. Same price, same quantity, similar packaging but a whole lot more spicier. Definitely for those nasi lemak lovers looking for sambal pedas in their rice.
The funny thing is, the photos you are about to see are already one year old. That time, I knew I was going to move to Selangor so it was my last attempt to try as many Penang food as I could. One fine Friday afternoon, SL and I drove all the way from Bayan Lepas to Sri Weld Food Court at Beach Street just to try two food that were said to be famous there, beef noodles and nasi lemak.
Although the journey seem short for me now since I start working in Selangor (you know lah how freaking long those LDP highways are), those working in Bayan Lepas would know it is unusual to drive all the way to town just for lunch. Usually we just settle in Batu Maung, Bayan Baru or Bukit Jambul.

Nasi Lemak

I hesitated for a while (for one year lol) on whether I should post this, main reason being the crappy photos. But then, why not? I think the photo is fairly self-explanatory on the level of spiciness in the sambal. Red hot!
For RM1.20 you would get a packet of traditional nasi lemak with a slice of hard boiled egg, some ikan bilis (fried anchovies) drenched in sambal.

Inflight Meal buffet

Nasi Lemak drilling in progress. For me, finishing the nasi lemak was a challenge because the spiciness would numb your tongue and make you sweat like hell. And I ordered a cold drink so it only made things worse. You know how cold drinks make hot food taste even hotter right lol.
By the way, if you come early in the morning you would see rows and rows of freshly packed nasi lemak arranged in front of the stall. It’s a very neat sight and really great for photo. If I ever return that’s the shot I won’t miss.

932 lime juice

Oh, this is one of my favorite drinks in Penang where we call it 932, basically a lime and sour plum drink. The limes are stuffed with sour plums and placed in a huge jar to be infused with sugar water (I think). Preparation is straightforward and simple, just mix with water and ice.
It is a very cool and refreshing drink, sweet tasting and not sourish like 桔仔酸梅 ‘Kiet La Sem Boay’. 932 drink is extremely hard to find in KL, and they don’t call it 932 here. It’s called 宝桔 ‘Pou Kat’ instead. So far I only seen one coffee shop selling it and the taste is just not as nice as those in Penang.

Sri Weld Beef Noodle

Yeah I mentioned that I was here to try the beef noodles too. But too bad the photo of the noodle is just too bad I dare not show it here. So, have a look at the stall instead lol. Taste wise I still find the Leng Lui Beef Noodle opposite the Balai Bomba much nicer, with more meat too.

Sri Weld Food Court

OK since it’s been a year I last went, I don’t know if the stalls are still there. Can anyone verify? For a super-delicious-omg-I-must-eat-one-now photo of the nasi lemak, head to Rasa Malaysia. And apparently, Lingzie has already reviewed the nasi lemak and beef noodles even before I went there! Haha.

1. allie says:

I kinda feel that the nasi lemak is not so good now. :P
    Both of the stalls still exists :) I just lunch there last week. Hehe… And I had the beef noodle, agree with you, the Leng Lui Beef Noodle taste better.

allie’s last blog post..Penang Food | New Recipe Frog Porridge

2. iamthewitch says:

I know which nasi lemak you mean! I LOVE it too! Definitely very lemak and fragrant. But I didn’t think it was that hot until it would make me sweat :P Maybe I have higher tolerance. *LOL*

iamthewitch’s last blog post..Feasting like a Prince

3. yes….. it’s very popular there.

FoOd PaRaDiSe’s last blog post..MIRAKU RESTAURANT @ G Hotel Gurney Drive, Penang

4. i like nasi lemak very much, but nowadays they don’t put daun pandan while cooking it, so not so wangi like the olden days. huhu

juLia d bubbles’s last blog post..Save the world!!!!!!!!

5. lingzie says:

i just had the nasi lemak a few weeks ago. the sambal not as spicy anymore wor. maybe they changed it due to customer’s feedback? they do still have rows and rows of neatly arranged nasi lemak though.
    its still a good pack of nasi lemak – cant really complain for rm1.20 right? lol
    but now they have more toppings instead of the original ikan bilis – prawns, fish, etc (RM1.50 for these i think)

lingzie’s last blog post..Cake Decorating & Tiramisu Baking Class in Penang!

6. Duckie says:

i like both .. the nasi lemak and the beef noodles.

Duckie’s last blog post..Esplanade Mee Sotong

7. J2Kfm says:

yeah, tried that beef noodles before, nothing too spectacular.
    din realise the nasi lemak so pedas! slurp … now u got my interest! :)

but rmbr seeing the nasi lemak being sold in front of the court.

8. the sambal looks terrific!

Big Boys Oven’s last blog post..

9. mimid3vils says:

It’s definitey spicier than the 223 nasi lemak from the look of the sambal =.=”

mimid3vils’s last blog post..Ramen Wang

10. email2me says:

The best banana leaf nasi lemak in Penang ….. love it so much!

email2me’s last blog post..Bangkok Wasabe, Thai Street Food at Dataran Sunway, Kota Damansara

11. Little Inbox says:

The taste deteriorating a lot. The first time I ta pao for it, viola! But the second time? So so nia…

Little Inbox’s last blog post..English Gourd Soup With Soy Beans, Dried Cuttle Fish & Pork Ribs

12. Jessey Ui says:

Wow.. The nasi lemak in Penang looks so tempting!!! You make me hungry~ I should try it when I’m home.. =P

Jessey Ui’s last blog post..Fireman steamboat @ Jaya One

13. Jayce says:

Drop by to ‘eat’ some foods… :D

Jayce’s last blog post..Earth Hour 2009 ~ Don’t forget to switch off lights for one hour

14. Foodees says:

Wow! The sambal looks HOT! Love to have a packet now.
    Drool~~~

Foodees’s last blog post..Moussandra

15. Cheryl says:

There is another RM 1.20 kick-ass nasi lemak near Mt. Erskine too – sold by an aunty who sells at the market near St. Nicholas traffic lights – she will move to the market near Taman Krystal after that session – very nice nasi lemak!!

Cheryl’s last blog post..CNY Makan Pt. 5: Tian Tian – Everyday Supreme Restaurant (Red Rock Hotel)

16. I miss those days when you could buy nasi lemak for RM1.00 with half an egg, not 1/4 egg.

17. Elaine says:

Seeing your post really reminds me of how the Nasi Lemak taste…..yummy, but it has been 4 or 5 years since i last had it at Beach Street.Really Miss it.

18. Took this nasi lemak before, very nice!

My Taste Heaven’s last blog post..Eastern & Oriental Hotel (E&O Hotel) Penang, Malaysia

19. Leonard Loh says:

OMG! i Totally missed Penang’s nasi lemak!

The 3-generation beef koay teow is a total must-try!

Leonard Loh’s last blog post..Nasi Briyani @ Restoran Insaf, Jln Tuanku Abd Rahman

20. jijitankyy says:

Must have 2 packs to fill my stomach ha

jijitankyy’s last blog post..Toh Soon Cafe,Campbell Street Penang

21. Tan says:

Well written article. Unfortunately, the nasi lemak is definitely NOT “traditional” at all, or should I say, nasi lemak of such nature (concept) is not native to Penang in every sense. I grew up in Penang in the 70′s and I know very well how a traditional Penang nasi lemak should be. In the old days, the nasi lemak is served with sambal belacan, crispy fried prawn/shrimp and usually ikan sardin in asam jawa, half boil egg, a bit of ikan bilis and of course cucumber. It was usually packed with banana leaves in a pyramid shape or sometimes customers can choose from a variety of dishes and customise. There’s no such thing as those oily and sweet sambal as we become so familiar with in KL/PJ.

The same applies to a lot of food in Penang which are now “mutated” or being modified either for economy reason or simply people do not care anymore. Younger Penangnite or Malaysian in general who grew up eating McD and Burger King sometimes do not have any idea of what the good food in the old days are. All I can say is, gone are the good old days. ^^

22. Best says:

yes very good ,spicy,but have you try the one stall at 78 cafe jalan penang, same row with cititel hotel, the rendang chicken and beef seems good, price reasonable cook by a chinese lady.

23. Hey give me Jalan 223 Nasi Lemak anytime! It’s a must have every weekend!

Tip here. Don’t feast on it when it’s just packed as the flavour has not ‘matured’ yet. Take the warm packets, not the hot ones :)
    Sweet Tim at Best Dessert Recipes´s last blog post ..Authentic Chinese New Year recipes that are easy to follow and delicious

24. KAMI says:

The best nasi lemak in town that i’ve ever ate..very delicious..i can eat 3-4 packets in the same time..hahhaa…i am very recommended!!!