Famous Koay Chap Stall beside Tua Pek Kong Cheng, Bukit Mertajam

Warning: Very UNHALAL post ahead, photos may be unappetizing for some. View at your own risk.

One of the popular food in Bukit Mertajam‘s is Koay Chap – 粿汁 / 粿什, a Teochew (some say Swatow) dish combining koay teow like noodles and stewed pork and duck. It can be considered a rather rare food in Penang because of limited availability. Only certain places offer Koay Chap so good ones are quite difficult to find.
The Koay Chap stall I am about to show has been selling for decades and is very popular among BM people. Even so, it was only my first time trying it, paiseh. By the way, did I already mention this post contains very UNHALAL and not-so-appetizing photos? lol just a reminder.

bm-koay-chap

Although the Koay Chap noodles look like a thicker version of koay teow, the preparation method is totally different. While koay teow is made by steaming rice starch and cut into flat sheets, Koay Chap noodles is prepared by searing the rice noodles on a flat pan (like how apong is prepared).
After that it is left to dry on a bamboo pole, cut into small triangle pieces and finally boiled in a pot of broth. Because of the searing process the noodles would appear curvy and tend to roll up.

koay-chap

If you do not take any kind of intestines or spare parts, do remember to remind the cook to give you duck meat only. In Hokkien – ‘gan na ak bak’. But if you are willing to try, no harm asking for some because they were pretty clean from what I have tasted.
And actually this stall is opened by my grandaunt with her husband and daughter so I didn’t have any doubt on the cleanliness. A small bowl costs RM3, big ones (shown here) RM3.50. The portion may look small but it was definitely filling due to the rice noodles.

bukit-mertajam-koay-chap

The major difference in this Koay Chap compared to the others would be none other than the gravy. In KL, Sarawak or even Penang island itself the Koay Chap has a very dark and salty gravy, which I suspect is taken from the duck or pork stew gravy alone.
Here, the noodles is firstly scooped into an empty bowl with some broth (whitish appearance and pretty much tasteless). Only when pork and duck meat are added into it along with the gravies, the noodles would have the desired flavor. To get the best out of the dish, enjoy it while it’s still warm!

koay-chap-spare-parts

koay-zhap-preparation

Because the seats are placed around the stall, you would be able to see the entire process of your Koay Chap being prepared.

koay-zhap-stall

Some other ingredients used are like hard boiled egg, stewed pork skin (very tender and slightly crunchy) and coriander. The tasty gravy that made the Koay Chap delicious is taken from the yellow pot in the middle.

market-koay-zhap-stall

If you are an adventurous eater and want to try something out of the ordinary, do give our Koay Chap a try. The stall is located along the street in a market next to Pek Kong Cheng Temple on the right, between the fruits and pork butcher stall. GPS Coordinates: N5 21.905 E100 26.698
Other popular food here include Hokkien Mee, White Wantan Mee and Bee Tai Mak with special chili sauce.

1. Miss reading your BM post… glad this came out! :)

New Kid On The Blog’s last blog post..Deluxcious Spa Cuisine & Café

2. Heard lots about good food there but have not try it yet. ^o^

FoOd PaRaDiSe’s last blog post..Restoran Sin Hwa Lam Seafood Restaurant @ Batu Maung, Penang

3. allie says:

next time what you back to Penang, you bring me there makan can ar? hehe… :P

allie’s last blog post..Invited Review | Haven Delights (Part I)

4. Charming says:

It has been more than 20 years since I’ve been back to BM. I remember koay chap, one of my favs. Will be making a trip in Oct, this is definitely going on my list! Thanks.

Charming’s last blog post..Learning to Cook

5. cumidanciki says:

the Koey chap in KL is actually getting pretty good! iv been eating a lot of it lately.. hey, which reminds me I have a few posts pending on the mighty kwey chap! haha

cumidanciki’s last blog post..Kokopelli – bloggers eat, hangout & ‘gila’

6. yuhas says:

“Very UNHALAL”. Ok… That’s a strong statement lol…

Enjoyed ur blog very much.

7. Duckie says:

i love this i love this!!

Duckie’s last blog post..Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, Leith Street

8. tekkaus says:

Nice shots. War…I’m salivating right now. :D

tekkaus’s last blog post..What? Sex Affair Just To Get Back At Parents?

9. iamthewitch says:

Is this nicer than the one in Kimberley Street? :)

iamthewitch’s last blog post..Tomatoes from Cameron Highlands

vk: haha i dunno wor.. never tried the one at Kimberly Street. Only tried the almond tea (yucks!) and duck egg CKT there b4 only :P Why not you try and let me know :)

10. This one is prepared clean.
    Rarely can find koay chap in Penang, but I know there’s one at Jelutong market.

foodpromotions’s last blog post..Advertorial

11. ck lam says:

Definitely will try out the taste of this Koay Chap…looks good with so much ingredients.

ck lam’s last blog post..Haven Delights @ Penang Times Square

12. cubchai says:

This stall is on the top of my list everytime i go back to “tua sua ka” BM. very nice picture !!!!

vk: thanks cubchai.. some ppl commented the the koay chap looked disgusting haha

13. Wao…. this is super nice, is a must try food if visit penang. Is that serve with beef as well?

vk: it is only served with duck and pork

14. o… i like duck and pork also, is look delicious. I will try it and write a blog into a Malaysia travel guide. Malaysia Travel Guide / Malaysia Travel Itinerary

15. SaeWei says:

My mom went there just not long ago and told me that the koay zhiap was very salty and the stall owner was kinda lansi :/

I’ve tried the one in Kimberly st and it is the besssstt koay zhiap that I’ve ever tried.heap and very big portion to.. haih..I miss Penang :(

SaeWei’s last blog post..Happy Birthday To Me~

16. BUBBLES says:

REALLY…… HOR CHIAK

17. traveling2u says:

i just came back from Penang. Luckly i remember i read this blog before and i try the Koay Chap. The Koay Chap noodle is smooth and i like the soup tast so much… thanks for the recomemnt.

18. Lawrence says:

Hi, do u know the operating hours?