Tasty Pot BBQ & Steamboat Buffet Restaurant @ Sunway Mentari, Bandar Sunway

Much has been said about Tasty Pot, a BBQ and steamboat buffet restaurant at Sunway Mentari. Thanks to the publicity generated by HoChak and a group of bloggers who have recently done a food review session there, the place was doing brisk business – definitely one of the busiest steamboat restaurants at Sunway Mentari.
This is quite an accomplishment itself considering the strong competition. If you don’t know, Sunway Mentari is like a place where steamboat restaurants gather at. There are like more than 10 steamboat restaurants here and the number is still growing.

crabs

The variety of seafood at Tasty Pot is good and the freshness level is high. And the portion of the seafood is big too especially the crabs, proving to be a value for money.

bamboo-clams

Bamboo clams, lala and prawns.

sui-gao

Some processed food – meat balls and sui gao.

scallops

More impressively, scallops were also available. Remember not to overcook it or it will get all rubbery and tasteless. Now let’s take a quick tour of the other ingredients available for steamboat:

tofu-pok

vegetable-and-noodle

cabbage-noodle

seafood

seafood-2

steamboat-seafood

fried-rice

bbq-prawns

There’s a BBQ section where you can get grilled fish, clams and skewered prawns. I do not recommend the food from here because they emit an awful smell of burnt salty sea water..

curry-soya-soup

Tasty Pot prides itself for inventing two soups for steamboatingSoya Soup and Curry Soya Soup. We chose to have a yin yang steamboat of Curry Soya Soup and Clear Soup.
Well as much as I think the idea of Curry Soya Soup is new, hip, refreshing and all, the taste was a let down. It was very bland and the soup tends to coagulate when it has been boiled for too long. Yes, it was worth a try but I definitely won’t have it again in future.

tasty-pot

Besides that, I think they also overdone something that should have been simple – the dipping sauces/condiments. True, there are plenty of sauces to choose from but I feel they did not go well with the steamboat at all. When I saw sardine at the sauce station I was like ‘eh, lolwtf?’, when a simple Thai Chili Sauce would have been good enough. Quite pretentious I would say.

tasty-pot-sunway

Keep an eye out for the roast lamb, which is right in front of the BBQ section. We missed it because we were there too early, thinking it wasn’t available. The price of RM23.80 a pax is quite decent considering the fresh and plenty seafood. Not bad for a steamboat buffet restaurant, but I still regard Hoi Tong as my personal top choice, with self service BBQ too.

map_s

Tasty Pot BBQ Steamboat Restaurant (PORK FREE)
9, Jalan PJS 8/18,
Dataran Mentari,
Bandar Sunway,
46150 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan

Tel: 03 5630 1282
Business Hours: 12pm to 1am Daily

crabs

bamboo-clams

Bamboo clams, lala and prawns.

sui-gao

Some processed food – meat balls and sui gao.

scallops

tofu-pok

vegetable-and-noodle

cabbage-noodle

seafood

seafood-2

steamboat-seafood

fried-rice

bbq-prawns

curry-soya-soup

tasty-pot

tasty-pot-sunway

map_s

Tasty Pot BBQ Steamboat Restaurant (PORK FREE)
9, Jalan PJS 8/18,
Dataran Mentari,
Bandar Sunway,
46150 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan

Tel: 03 5630 1282
Business Hours: 12pm to 1am Daily

39 Comments on “Tasty Pot BBQ & Steamboat Buffet Restaurant @ Sunway Mentari, Bandar Sunway

1. Dunno how’s the interior decoration leh?

2. they’re almost everywhere in Sunway Mentari. we had a tough time choosing, but since they serve more or less the same spread, with a little tweaks here and there (soya soup, SARDINE?!!! to go with what?!!).

i’d stick to those with BBQ-DIY options. pity bout those skewered prawns though. looked promising.

3. JD

Wow, the shell fish looks real good too. And for RM23.80, quite a decent price. Will definitely give it a try when I am in Sunway…

4. I must say the price is quite a bargain considering the amount of varieties they have. :P

1. it’s a shame their soup and sauces are not up to par

5. Jun

i ate there before. My dad and i have rashes after eating the seafood. My dad’s friend even have diarrhea the next day

1. oh, that’s bad.. luckily I was OK

6. AhNong

no fucuk wan ? steamboat no fucuk is fail

7. Jun

I was there at saturday. Taking food from the food place and grill station was worst than those refugee camp. They have a certain ration at the grill station when i went there. The lamb was not that good also, a bit keras and not so juicy

8. that’s a good deal with the seafood that they are providing~

9. dorae

going on tis thursday
    need any booking o not?

10. ming

i saw from it website there got many drink. is all the drink free refill??

1. I am not sure about that. We took only Chinese tea, and if I remembered correctly the tea was chargeable

11. HappyFeet

This is the worst steamboat I ever had. Please don’t mention the food freshness or tastiness, it has No LINK to this restaurant at all. JUN is right, uncivilized people everywhere! They were too ugly to describe here. And you have used the word “Refugee”, Fully understood! Don’t be surprise if you see those well-dressed ladies grab the crab with their hands and felt proud to tell how they got the food. Despite my hungry stomach, I left the place in 30mins. No appetite at all! Of course I paid (for the first and last time).

12. lee

hye… i`m muslim, may i know this food is halal or not . i love seafood

1. I don’t think this is halal.. should be pork free only

13. frixx

well after i went there to eat yesterday, i was not satisfied well there were no scallop, low in variety and they give u only very small pieces of roasted lamb which it taste really bad…. after if u ask to rate i’ll rate 2 out of 10. well i am from penang too so it is totally out of standard should have go to penang try out the steambot and bbq. cheers

14. Charlie

I was there on 28 Nov. I had to agree with Jun. The grill lamb station guy was like crazy , ask him not to cot the lamb rib , but he says it’s compulsary , so he must cut to bite size. The lamb also over cook , like rubber , really untasty. He also give one rib only per person and when i ask for more , he ask me to q all over again despite me quing for a good 20 minutes to get them. If i know it taste so horrible , i will not q in the first place, real dissapointment.
    The mud crab also inedible. Must be frozen ones because the meat is like cream when cooked , yuck. Like eating
    mash potatoes. Certainly not worth 26.80 that i’ve paid. Drinks ordered and charge separately but price not quated
    in the menu they hand you , puzzling.

15. i think i don’t come again because here so dirty i finding have two steamboat is chong qing and yuen steamboat but yeun steanboat special sweet.ha ha ha iso lucky can finding this two steamboat is (chong qing ,yuen steamboat)

16. Yvonne

Yes, agree with Charlie and Alvin.. i’m also wont be tasty pot to having my dinner again. Is really not worth for price RM26.80, Yuean steamboat is more choices than tasty pot.. not worth.. really not worth!!! DISSAPOINTMENT!!!

17. KiwiJuice

yes yes…agree with u Yvonne…the soups are tasteless…really disappointed!!

18. Tangs

The seafood is not fresh,especially the crab.

19. ben

jz came bc from tis god damn steambot . it makes me almost vomit at thr.. nv have tis kind unfresh steambot b4.. wont step in anymore..buy me also wont .. the crab jz look big oni .. no fresh & meatless .. they added some egg white inside to pretending as crab meat .. jz wondering hw others table ppl can having it lik so tasteful .. the seafood all no fresh .. y tis place so crowded ..

20. Ryan

This place is the one-stop location for BAD, borderline rotten seafood! The place is also disgustingly dirty. Their table cloth smells like it’s been dunked in some horrible perfume ( to mask the smell of dirty cloth perhaps?).

Anyway, if you’re after good food, DO NOT go near this place. If you’re after plates after plates of (some) large rotten, frozen crab at RM26.80, then go ahead.

Ryan

21. try chong qing steamboat (i’m not sure how it is spelled)..just very near to tasty pot BBQ.
    .-= jeffrey´s last blog ..Italiannies@Sunway Pyramid =-.

22. daniel

puchong puteri have a new buffet steamboat call milkbear, variety and i like the special curry soup n porridge soup^^

23. Kenelam

What a ripoff !!

Went there last night and the charges were as follows :

1) RM26.80 /pax
    2) Canned Coke RM 2.80/can
    3) Suet Char ( Chinese Tea ) RM 1.00/glass

On top of that , a 10 % Service Charge is added to the total charges.

Ended up paying RM 65.20 for 2 person . The drinks are too expensive and the quality of food there is nothing great to shout about.

Guess this will be my first and last time going there.

24. susan

this is worst steamboat i had been ate…. those food all are taste bad… not fresh at all, i have been cheat by the tv show… i dun understand how the host of the tv show will said it was tasty…. not valueble at all….. this is the 1st time n the last time i’m going there

1. TV hosts are paid to give comments, not same like us. We pay to get conned by these TV shows.

25. Zak

Not worth it even a single cents. But for those big size crab lover can have a try. Rather going for those that we can roast ourselve instead of waiting 20min like beggar for just a crab

26. tan

hey buddy .. go to puteri puchong look for 老妈子 steambot.. they got nice crab too @@

27. Ivy

went there last night with 3 of my friend.
    crab is rotten…so dissappointed but not the worst….
    seafood was not fresh….
    remember they give you plate, fork and chopstick in sealed condition? yea, good ideas upon sitting…but unfortunately it is chargeable at RM 0.30 (not include svc charge & taxes yet!!!) will u just pay for the utensil for your food????
    That still not too bad….

we ordered a pot of chinese tea, for friend commented above that whether the drink is chargable, yes it is!….we ordered ti kuan ying….but end up come with puer which was the lowest price puer… we did not manage to taste the tea at first round as just pour n drink. so we realise on our second cup of tea, then I requested the staff to change it. He went to counter to check his bill and say the drinks bar wrongly made, he did place the right order. But guess wat?! After he bring back to kitchen, he just add hot water for us!!!

Then we call him again, this is where we angry on….he at the end of the shop shout to us who seated at the most front….’u cakap sendiri kat orang yang buat’!!! (you go tell the drinks bar yourself!) what kind of service is this?
    We requested the manager there to get it change.

then next is the 2hrs of tasteless steamboat….my friend start feeling not well! diarrhea immediately there! and again when we reach home! how terrible the food there?

then we ask for the bill….of 4 persons, utensil charged at RM 0.30….tea listed as ‘ puer tea’….mean the staff who place order fault or the drinks bar??? and this tea charged at RM 7!!! for 4 pax…..if u r me, do u think u willing to step in again?

vkeong,
    you may try again at this shop n consider whether u wanna change ur review toward their service……

28. ivy

this place SUCKS!!!
    the SOUP is tasteless!!!
    they charge for the plate, bowls and chopsticks!!
    no beef no pork…
    6pax is rm207.. and we only add one pot of tea
    WAT THE FUCK!!

29. me

really wanted to try tasty pot, pictures on the net are so tempting, but after reading comments, i guess never mind… thanks for the heads up.

30. Anonymous

I went 2 years back. In fact, they were good. Big fresh crabs…yummy. Was craving for it and tried again last week…..fully disappointed…

Don’t forget the blog and photos were taken few years back. Now they charged at Rm27xx, and utensil charges RM0.40/ set. Why should they charge for utensil?!!!

The crabs are really crabs!!! Not fresh at all. The crab meat so so soft and yuakkee…

I won’t go back any since my last week’s visit.

31. Tan Seng Li

My first & last time to this (not) Tasty Pot.
    Sorry I do not wish to elaborate.
    American Express Card (not) Welcome

32. Wei Shan

I wouldn’t recommend tasty pot. The last time I went there, the price were RM28 per person and the soup was tasteless(tomyam). The mantis prawn were also smaller then my thumb and shrinks furthur after cooked.

Opposite tasty pot, there is a steamboat restaurant named Chong Qing Steamboat which I would recommend people to go. The price when I last went there was RM26 and I felt that it was a fair price too as the ingredients were fresh and especially the crab’s pincers(they’re huge). It also serves thin slices of lamb meat and also beef from time to time. Do try it out!

33. Halo, I went to this restaurant last
    Month. I totally disagree with the above comment. In fact, that is my worst experience ever. The seafood is not fresh except for those live seafood kept in the aquarium which are only a few types. The bbq lamb also tastes terribly. It is not well cooked. The Pot soup they provide are varieties, i have tried sichuan spicy, herbal soup, and soya milk. All of them are disappointing. Taste bad and Not a good mix.
    Last but not least is the cost and value of the meal. I was shocked to be told that they charge Rm4 for one iced herbal tea. The total bill for my table of 6 costs around Rm240 which is approx Rm40 per pax. I would say i rather pay a little bit more to go and have japanese buffet.

34. James

Hi All, I went to this restaurant last
    Month. I totally disagree with the above comment. In fact, that is my worst experience ever. The seafood is not fresh except for those live shellfish kept in the aquarium which are only a few types. The bbq lamb also tastes terribly. It is not well cooked. The Pot soups they provide are varieties, i have tried sichuan spicy, herbal soup, and soya milk. All of them are disappointing. Taste bad and Not a good mix. The service is bad too. I have to refill the soup by myself all the times. The staff there are taking their sweet time talking to each other and don’t know how to serve their customers.
    Last but not least is the cost and value of the meal. I was shocked to be told that they charge Rm4 for one iced herbal tea. The total bill for my table of 6 costs around Rm240 which is approx Rm40 per pax. We only ordered some soft drinks and iced herbal tea in addtion of the RM28 per pax. It is way too much not value for your money. I would say i rather pay a little bit more to go japanese buffet.
    In conclusion, this restaurant is sux !!!