Banana Leaf Rice @ Restoran Sri Paandi (PJ), Section 11

There are quite many Banana Leaf restaurants in PJ and the famous are Sri Paandi, Raju and Kanna Curry House. Recently, Sri Paandi has become my favorite one for being reasonably priced unlike the other two, which could get quite cut throat just for a simple meal. Even though Raju is the most expensive of all I like still like their airy environment and efficient table service. Sri Paandi on the other hand, is lacking on these two.

banana-leaf-curry-rice

Here, it cost RM4.50 for a traditional banana leaf rice set (vegetarian) with free refills of rice, vegetable curries, papadum and chutney. This should be the chepest banana leaf rice in the vicinty. Others would cost at least RM5 to RM5.50 for the same and free sweets are also given if you ask for it.

banana-leaf-rice

The deep fried fish (RM4/pc) is the other main reason I choose to eat here. On a good day (and also depending on who fries it) it is usually delicious with a golden brown coating and moist, tender flesh. Other meats like fried chicken and mutton curry are not bad as well but personally, I feel the fried fish is the best side dish here.

sri-paandi-pj

As mentioned earlier, table service is one thing Sri Paandi could really improve on. I don’t know why service could be slow and chaotic even with so many workers around. A cup of teh tarik could take more than 15 minutes to arrive and heck, even a simple fork and spoon request could take up to 10 minutes. I am more frustrated with the latter because I could only see, but not start eating!

Restoran Sri Paandi (PJ)
37 Jalan Dato Mahmud 11/4,
46200 Petaling Jaya
GPS Coordinates: N3 06.666 E101 38.954
Tel: 03-7960 0576

1. Konghulang says:

Eating banana leaf rice with fork and spoon ?

2. yusann says:

Eating with fork and spoon so that hand will not dirty….and photo can be taken to upload….^^
    yusann´s last blog post ..Food Network 21 Choong Kee Kampar Claypot Rice Damansara Jaya Selangor

3. JD says:

You’re right when it come to cutting throat in terms of prices. Have only tried Raju’s all this while. However, Nirwana Maju at Bangsar also is quite a good place to have this.

4. Brickfield also got a lot of delicious banana leaf restaurants and what I like most is they do serve vegetarian.

5. We usually frequent Paandi during Chinese New Year 1st & 2nd day. Better than fast food!
    Sweet Tim at Best Dessert Recipes´s last blog post ..Healthy Recipes To Lose Some Weight – Quick Lettuce Salad

6. Charles says:

I usually taking banana leaf at another shop, same street. With air cone. But getting more and more expensive. Price up from RM5.20 to RM5.50 and now RM6. Compare with this RM4.50 I guess I need to try this.

7. Annu says:

Hi Guys… Paandi’s was my favourite but nowadays I don’t go there as they have cut standards tremendously and the service is also shoddy. Recently my friends have introduced me to a Banana Leaf restaurant called Sam’s Kitchen in Jalan Mahkota, Taman Maluri. They are not so cheap… but they have excelled in real South Indian food quality. The restaurant is clean and it gets very busy during lunch and over weekend. It is already my weekend hangout for my family and friends. Check it out!

8. superbarney says:

I tried this restaurant once with my friends. Sat there for 15 minutes. Nobody came to take our order although it wasn’t peak period at around 3pm and all the workers there pretended to be busy. They just didn’t want to bother us at all. We left after that. Good riddance to bad rubbish and went to the other restaurant at the corner Grand City. My usual haunt. MUCH better service. I’d rather pay more at Grand City really. Sri Paandi is very shitty and that’s an understatement.

9. Michael says:

Price used to be 4.50 with free flow rice and veggie. Now, extra veggie is Rm3.50 extra! And meat was not cooked. Not going back there anymore.
    Michael´s last blog post ..Re: OTS MDRT Camp 2011

10. Chris says:

You should try Restoran Istilah in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, opposite McDonalds – the food is delicious and they offer 7 varieties of veg for their banana leaf rice. Really worth it…

11. cheated says:

Seri Paandi not only lacks in inefficient services but is unhygienic & dirty. Flies, roaches, rodents, cutlery with remnants of dried sauces/food, wet & oily , etc. On top of that, they have hidden extra charges. After I was cheated of extra charges, I boycotted them. That was a year ago& til today I will not go back. They lack ethics and honesty.