Sang Har Hor Fun @ Restoran Pan Heong, Batu Caves

A sudden crave for Sang Har noodles led me to Pan Heong restaurant at Batu Caves, which I have been eyeing to try for quite some time now. Pan Heong is not only well known for their cheaper-than-average Sang Har noodles, they also operate as a bakery of sorts selling various tarts and pastries. Lunch hour during the normal weekend is busy but luckily the table turnover rate is high.

river-prawns-sang-har

They do not serve the usual fried wantan mee here so I was a bit sad because that’s my favorite style. Basically for the Sang Har you only have two options, one is to go for the Sang Har Hor Fun which we did and I forgot the other lol. If you are coming alone then I have bad news because the minimum order is 2 pax and it costs RM40.

Actually most restaurants that I have been to will serve a single person’s portion, for example that stuck up Soo Kee at Medan Imbi but surprisingly not here. Unless you’re hungry like a horse then you might be able to finish it because the portion is not that huge either. And I like how the captain tells you the price first after placing the order so you won’t get a bill shock later. If you regret after knowing the price you still can U-turn mah.. right? Just put up a thick face.

sang-har-hor-fun

Taste wise I feel it met my expectations so the drive to Batu Caves was worth it. But honestly, even though I hate to admit it, I would probably say Soo Kee is slightly better if my memory still serves me right. For me, the difference between Soo Kee and Pan Heong that set them apart is the quality of the Sang Har. Don’t get me wrong Pan Heong’s Sang Har is still off-the-shell fresh, just that the flesh is not as firm as I thought it would be. Other than that minor complaint, it is awesome.

restoran-pan-heong

Just in case you are wondering, Pan Heong does not serve Sang Har noodles alone. We only had that because there were only two of us there. Some other dishes that we noticed that are consistently coming out of the kitchen were the porridge, steam fish and Mamak Mee Goreng.
Overall, Batu Caves is still an unexplored territory to me but Pan Heong was a great start to kick things off. If you know of any good restaurants there please leave your recommendations in the comment so I can check it out. Thanks in advance.

No. 2, Jalan Medan Batu Caves 2,
Medan Batu Caves,
68100 Selangor
GPS Coordinates: N3 14.017 E101 40.427
Tel: 03-6187 7430

1. mimid3vils says:

One of the best wat dan hor I’ve eaten :)
    mimid3vils´s last blog post ..Starbucks Mooncake

2. Baby Sumo says:

They also do a good sang yu porridge as well as nam yu pork belly here. I’ve seen a lot of ppl order the wat tan hor since it’s the cheaper option compared to sang har hor fun.
    Baby Sumo´s last blog post ..Ramen Masterclass with Chef Shinichi Kanai @ Gokuraku Ramen, Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur

3. Wow, there’s lots of prawns going on!
    Michelle chin´s last blog post ..Recipe: Oyster Sauce Noodles

4. djelagirl says:

Wow! I got hungry looking at the picture. Yummy, wow it looks good.
    djelagirl´s last blog post ..online games

5. I love the hor fun. It was so tasty, thanks to the huge prawns.
    Apple Foodees´s last blog post ..Silver Spoon Trattoria at Bandar Menjalara, Kepong

6. Makan makan says:

Good but whats the point, the si tau por sitting at the counter is damm farking Lansi

7. Michael says:

OK so now you’ve made me really hungry !
    Gonna get of my Laptop and better get something :)
    Michael´s last blog post ..How To Arrange Homeschool Field Trips

8. Honest says:

Hi VK,
    It’s always nice to read your blog and admire the nice pictures on your blog. It never fail to salivate me! slurp! Keep it up! Anyway, I wonder if you can assist me with a problem I’m facing? I tried posting on my blog but the picture that I uploaded appeared half or out of color. I don’t have this issue previously. Can’t blog since this problem started 3 months back. Maybe you can check it out on my site @ http://eateatfoodie.blogspot.com? Your value suggestion is appreciated!

9. carly says:

Mmm! My mouth is watering just looking at those pics. I wish there was a good Malaysian restaurant near me.
    carly´s last blog post ..My Irvine dentist

10. JD says:

The prawn looks so fresh and yummy. Do hope it’s also a good place for sit in Chinese dinner?
    JD´s last blog post ..My Elephant @ Taman Sri Hartamas

11. barak says:

Ill take my wife and children to taste this great food.. second thought ill take my wife solo…
    barak´s last blog post ..Dog back pain!

12. lily riani says:

looks yummy but its not halal i suppose…sigh…

13. Garce says:

Is delicious ..food,.

14. jayanthy says:

Im staying near Pan Heong Restoran but im not taste the foods before….but my frens told me that the foods really taste and cheaper…but now im going to work in that Restoran maybe i got chance to taste………wowwwwwwwwwww

15. yee says:

really enjoy reading your blog and your lively pictures..the prawn is really big
    yee´s last blog post ..Senjyu @ Bangsar Village 2

16. Anonymous says:

Pan Heong is famous for porridge dude