Big and Tasty Crabs @ B Lui Seafood, Kepong Baru

Looking for crabs in KL is easy with so many seafood restaurants around. But the real challenge is to look for one that has really large crabs without going out of town. And don’t get me started on those gimmicky restaurants that claim to sell crabs at RM18/kg, they are always teeny weeny ones with little meat – hardly satisfying. So if you share my same thoughts and do not mind spending more, there is a hawker-styled restaurant worth visiting at Kepong‘s Wai Sek Kai.

live-australian-crab

Because the crabs at B Lui Seafood are imported from either Indonesia or Australia, their sizes are reasonably larger as well as costing much more than the local breed. Those in the display tanks go for RM120/kg and weighs about 1 to 1.2kg each, while the even larger ones (~1.5kg, requires booking) cost RM150/kg. So the meal would easily exceed RM120 if you order only even one crab.

salt-and-pepper-crab

The ways the crabs could be cooked are pretty standard, like what you would expect from a normal seafood restaurant. But just so you know, their signature cooking method is Kam Heong style, followed by the unique Coffee style. While I was there the table next to us ordered the Coffee Crabs, which filled the whole restaurant with coffee aroma when it was being prepared. As for us, we prefer to enjoy the crabs as it is with minimal seasoning and sauce, so the Pepper & Salt baked style was chosen. Since it is baked, the crab could go into the bamboo basket as a whole without being cracked open first.

crab-pincer

I think this photo of the claw alone is enough to tell you the size of the crab and the amount of meat it packs. It is expensive alright but the satisfaction you get when you sink your teeth into the succulent and delicious meat.. that will surely overshadow the price.

kam-heong-la-la

You should not miss their Kam Heong La La @ RM23 too, which I think is really good. I have been ordering a lot of Kam Heong La La at other seafood restaurants but most of them could not even come close to B Lui’s version.

salted-egg-squid

We also had the Salted Egg squid @ RM23, which turned out to be unexpectedly delicious much due to the savory and crunchy coating.

crab-meat-fried-rice

The Crab Meat Fried Rice is one of the most ordered dish here, quite nice and flavorful. It could be better though if the fried egg was not so oily.

b-seafood-kepong

Besides the seafood, the nasi lemak (best nasi ever, fluffy and full of santan aroma but the lauk is nothing special) and BBQ chicken wings are worth trying out too. All of them are basically in the same food court so you could have them in the same sitting.

B Lui Seafood
No. 29, 30, 31, 32
Jalan 29, Kepong Baru
52100 KL
Business hours: 6pm to 12am (Closed on Wednesdays)
Tel: 019-331 7783 / 012-3903683

1. Wow ! Very pricy !!! But the size of the crab makes me wanna bite it off !
    Malaysia Cuisine´s last blog post ..Lot 10 Hutong – Lot 10, Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur

2. nikel says:

Crab claw is killing me!
    nikel´s last blog post ..Home Cooked Cheesy Pork Chop

3. Anon says:

Pardon my ignorance, but thought I should alert you that the exact photos appear on

Think there are in other post too.

4. TARfm says:

I used to go to this stall many years ago. Looks like it’s time to revisit after looking at your interesting post! :)
    TARfm´s last blog post ..Things You Might Not Know about Malaysia’s Richest

5. Tony says:

That crab claw is simply amazng. Awesome, awesome. Thank you.
    Tony´s last blog post ..Banana Cake @ Daily Grain Bakery 每日五谷 in Taman Perling, Johor Bahru

6. Cindy Tong says:

wow that big crab must be very satisfying huh….I’ve long fo such big claw so long…the last I have is vietnam crab in KK but still smaller than this one…
    Cindy Tong´s last blog post ..Shokudo, Armada Hotel PJ

7. JD says:

Glad to know that the nasi lemak at the food court is still available. Been ages since I was last there….
    JD´s last blog post ..Club 21 & Flams @ Changkat Bukit Bintang

8. Nur says:

Hi, the GPS coordinates are missing for this one? I love it when you include it in- makes it so much easier to find
    Love your blog!

9. noobie says:

wow didn’t know wai sek kai serves crabs with such premium prices. might visit there since it’s only 5 minutes from my house.

10. Monica says:

You know what ? The other day, I took altogether four Air Asia trips and the gomen ordered four pakcik nasser’s nasi lemak.

11. Anonymous says:

I tried last Friday and the service was very bad. We waited for 20 minutes for each dish and the stall was not packed. Mind you we did not order the crab, we had lala, sotong,fried rice and vege. We ordered our dinner at 8pm & end up leaving the stall 945pm.

And they collect money very fast when they serve the last dish.

Very bad experience.

• B sea food says:

Sorry about our service…maybe that day you came our stall many custormers.
      If you sit in front our stall,serve the last dish we must collected money…all the stall serve the last dish also collect money…

12. Kepong_FatGuy says:

WoW, been a long time I din visit B-Lui. The last time I eat is RM52/kg and now RM120/kg Oh My GOD is definetely expensive. Like what you said, if you carving for big size crab and so far as I know is only B-Lui and the restaurant just beside ex-Rohtman roundabout (nvr try that restaurant).

As for sharing some infor here, not only the crab and kam heong lala is good and the best is the “seong tong lala” (The actual name is not seong tong but got soup mah) with many many garlic and add little bit cili padi, that is my my requests always. Next time give it a try..

Taking about service, for me is okay as me a regular there (almost 15 yrs) and boss and lady boss abit rough lah. Abit dissapointed me is the environment (alot miki mouse) but who’s care, just pull up your leg will do especially the foods is good.

• B sea food says:

Before 15 years ago the crab is RM52/kg,but now the crab is RM80/kg (Indonesia crab)…About the RM120/kg crab is different,this crab from Australia,this crab weight have 1.2kg between 1.5kg

13. B sea food says:

If you cannot find “B sea food” address Jalan 29 in GPS…you can find Jalan Antoi 1😃