Spanish food enthusiasts in KL have a reason to rejoice. Renowned Chef Jose Alonso is in the city and he’s cooking at The Library of the freshly renovated Ritz-Carlton.
Available for five days only (until 29 Oct) from 7pm onward, you will have the opportunity to enjoy his carefully curated 4-course menu of authentic Spanish specialties.
Allow me to cut to the chase – the dishes are brilliant and the price of RM150 nett (RM250 nett with Spanish wine pairing) is quite a steal considering the restaurant’s location, setting and Chef Jose’s reputation.
If you have been saving up to end the month with a bang then look no further. In fact, you better be quick to make a reservation because I was told that they are almost fully booked for the next four days.
Although it’s a 4-course menu, you can expect to sample at least 10 different dishes. We were lucky because we got an extra tapa thrown in for free, so we had 11 dishes in total. Every guest will also receive a free welcome drink, either Sangria or sparkling wine.
The meal starts a delicious selection of snacks and tapas:
1. Sandwich De Queso Fresco (Fresh Cheese Terrine Bikini) – crackling sandwich that gives way to a soft and creamy cheese center.
2. Berenjenas Con Meil De Cana (Fried Eggplant, Honey) – thinly sliced aubergine, deep fried into a crisp and coated with honey.
3. Croquetas De Pollo Y Huevo (Chicken and Boiled Egg Croquettes) – golden brown crust with a hot molten filling.
4. Tallarines De Sepia Con Sofrito (Grilled Cuttlefish) – springy strips of cuttlefish resembling flat noodle in an aromatic mix of herb sauce.
5. Mushroom Ravioli – not included in the menu, served on the house.
6. Pulpo A La Gallega (Grilled Atlantic Octopus) – layers of sliced octopus on top of boiled potatoes, then sprinkled with paprika for a touch of heat.
7. Calabacines Rellenos De Rabo De Toro (Baby Zucchini stuffed with Oxtail Ragout) – a hearty pairing that simply works, probably my favorite tapa of the night.
If you opt for the wine pairing, white wine is matched with the tapas. The pours are more than generous and are great to enjoy over conversation while waiting between the tapas.
For main course (matched with red wine), you will get Squid Ink Paella with Seafood and Braised Lamb Shank. Between the two, the squid ink paella is clearly the more memorable dish. Glistening, rich and studded with fresh seafood, every mouthful is just a burst of flavor.
The braised lamb shank on the hand is perfectly cooked leaving it a little pink in the middle. That said, the roasted Piquillo Pepper impressed me more, it tasted almost like a soft candy!
Desserts wise, there are also two of them. The Raspberry Sorbet and Wild Forest could be one of the most aesthetically pleasing desserts I have seen.
The tart and refreshing sorbet is meant to cleanse your palate to prepare you for the next dessert, which is traditional churros with chocolate sauce. Flaky on the outside and light and airy when you bite into it, the churros are exactly how I like them to be.
After that, it’s coffee or tea to conclude the meal.
For more information about Guest Chef Jose Alonso At The Library or reservations (recommended), call 03-2142 8000 or email email@example.com.
** This was a complimentary tasting. **
Level 1, The Ritz-Carlton
168, Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur